Join for free
Page 369 of 1676 « First < 269 319 359 367 368 369 370 371 379 419 469 869 1369 > Last »
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 07:48 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Granularity. I was pondering this very subject at the weekend when I was making some apple crumble. Icing sugar versus granulated sugar versus soft brown sugar versus demerara sugar. All different levels of granularity tha knows.

As for salt, what makes sea salt so special. Anyone who has ever swimmed in the sea and got a gob full knows it's darn salty. Why do crisp makers deem it necessary to tell us the salt in/on the product is sea salt. When I was a lad we had salted crisps or salt and vinegar flavour. The only difference I can see by adding the word sea to the packet is the price. Sea salt and cracked black pepper crisps are more expensive than salt and pepper crisps.

... and analogue versus digital brains. The Tornado fighter/bomber engine had one of them. One type had an analogue control unit and the other type had a digital version.
I used to slow cook a pasty on the analogue jobby a-cause the power supply got really hot. Five hours wrapped in baco foil an' er was steaming all the way through.

If you took the lid off you could see the analogues all rushing along the wuzzy-pipes from one end to t'other, down to th'engine an' back again. The analogue units were much heavier than the digital jobbies, so I came to the conclusion that analogues weigh more than digits. Simple deduction innit, or is it simple addition?

You had to be careful with the digital unit though. If you took the lid off, all the ones and 'ose would fall out on the floor. The worst ones were the hexadecimal jobbies. The analogues had to be converted to hex then digital, then all the way back again. You never got the number you first thought of.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 07:55 PM

Actually,Jem,I can recall exactly the same 'medication' being recommended to a chap I served with,who suffered real hardships during a particular conflict. His energy-level was severely depleted,as was his ability to take and process solids. The consultant medic recommended a Guinness per day-just the one per day-as a 'vitality' support for his condition. It really did the trick-he's still to this day vehement in his belief that the advert "Guinness is good for you" is a truth,not a mere advertising ploy. As I happen to enjoy a Guinness myself now-and-then,I concur in entirety! it's a good,flavoursome drink that actually does have a beneficent side to it,other than merely enjoying the experience of watching the head slowly settle...mmmmm....
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 08:07 PM

Fruitcake...those hexadecimal numbers would need a plurality control of field bits,so a signal value on the duty cycle could be used for the pulse.
So,thermal isolation to a value of 1f would be the reason your corn didn't pop,bruv. [although it IS possible to 'write in' a 14-bit temperature data format,for stabilisation at a given 'complement' formatted isolation point].
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 08:42 PM

'MARKLE, Philip, dear. MEGHAN MARKLE! Harry's not marrying Angela Merkel!'

on a lighter note?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
Ahhhh,gumbud,how greatly we worry over such small cytoplasmic matrixes,ol' chap....
The chance-percentage of mitochondrial dysfunction is really not worth your tears,gumbud...so blow yer conk & dry yer eyes,me old mate. Y'see;The most important function of the mitochondria is to produce energy. Fairy Nuff. The simpler [i.e; more basic] molecules of nutrition are passed to the mitochondria,to be processed to produce charged molecules. These charged molecules combine with oxygen and thus produce 'ATP'(Adenosine triphosphate] molecules. This process is known as oxidative phosphorylation. [sorry!]
Mitochondria help cells to maintain proper concentration of calcium ions within the compartments of the cell,but they also help in building certain parts of blood and hormones,i.e; testosterone and estrogen.
The mitochondria in liver cells,have enzymes that detoxify ammonia. THESE,although not seeming so,are the m/c that are really important to keep operational-they stop you poisoning yourself from within...by accident.
The mitochondria also play important role in the process of apoptosis or 'programmed cell death'. Which is to say,each-and-every cell & microcell in the human-or any-living framework,has a 'cut-off' date after which apoptosis will take place,clearing out used 'husks' to be replaced with energetic cells....THIS is the process that slows as the body ages,thus you humans [shuddup] become slower,less 'sprightly'...and fussier regarding diet. However-the slowing of the process is not in,or of itself,a bad or dangerous thing,as the mitochondria play an important role in the production of ATP via the process of oxidative phosphorylation. At this point,I'll STFU and suggest that if you're interested,you Bing,Google,I.E.Safari, or whatever the bloody thing's called,the phrase 'Krebs cycle'. Oh...if anyone's wondering,'ATP' is a nucleotide performing many essential roles in body cells. It's the major energy format of the cell,providing the energy for most of the sometimes extremely energy-consumptive activities within a cell. Damnit...I'm being stared at again...Anon,poppets...
well that for sure has been a great help as I sit here crumble to pieces!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->

'MARKLE, Philip, dear. MEGHAN MARKLE! Harry's not marrying Angela Merkel!'

on a lighter note?
He seems a decent down to earth young fella to me, good luck to the pair of them.
Times have changed and I believe even granny is often amused nowadays, she was smiling all the time she was over here, I heard she has a good sense of humour, she’d need it to put up with her husband old “hokey pokey”
“He puts his right foot in and his left foot too, he’ll do the hokey pokey then he wipes it off his shoe”
God love him, he never fails to put his foot in it.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

29-11-2017, 09:03 PM

Actually,Jem,I can recall exactly the same 'medication' being recommended to a chap I served with,who suffered real hardships during a particular conflict. His energy-level was severely depleted,as was his ability to take and process solids. The consultant medic recommended a Guinness per day-just the one per day-as a 'vitality' support for his condition. It really did the trick-he's still to this day vehement in his belief that the advert "Guinness is good for you" is a truth,not a mere advertising ploy. As I happen to enjoy a Guinness myself now-and-then,I concur in entirety! it's a good,flavoursome drink that actually does have a beneficent side to it,other than merely enjoying the experience of watching the head slowly settle...mmmmm....
ah have somewhat great difficulty getting guiness in this neck of the woods - draught just not available but I can buy the cans with the little widget in the bottom - any thoughts Jem and others on the benificial effects or otherwise of this canned guiness as opposed to the tap - my understanding is that all guiness produced in OZ is under direct recipe guarantee from Ireland?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 09:36 PM

It has to the same as old Arthurs recipe Gummy, bottled tinned or draught Guinness is Guinness as far as the goodness goes, or course being a connoisseur of the perfect pint of Guinness is a different thing altogether.
A bottle of stout a day was a common thing here years ago for folks to regain energy, when my dad was on the way back to the land of the living after many years of TB a bottle the bottle of Guinness played a big role, as I often mention he went on to be 94 and it was a bug that he picked up in the hospital that eventually killed him.

I'm off for a pint meself now, I haven't been out for a while and need me energy so I'll brave the elements and struggle up to the local afore I collapse from weakness.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK

29-11-2017, 10:00 PM

Now LISSUN UP,chaps [and any chappettes not yet bored to tears]
It seems that whenever I post summink,it's received with "Oh,Jeez-that Pug bloke's off again"...so,here's an attempt at that humour thing I've heard about.
Today,I finally achieved my ballet degree.

...[this is the good bit-pay attention]...I got a tu-tu.

. . . . oh,SOD off,the lotta yerz. I worked on that! #sigh#
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 11:13 PM

Fruitcake...those hexadecimal numbers would need a plurality control of field bits,so a signal value on the duty cycle could be used for the pulse.
So,thermal isolation to a value of 1f would be the reason your corn didn't pop,bruv. [although it IS possible to 'write in' a 14-bit temperature data format,for stabilisation at a given 'complement' formatted isolation point].
... and there's me thinking it was down to the turbo encabulator emitting inverse reactive current in the physical wavelength spectrum, causing disruption to the epicyclic unilateral phase detractor torque condenser unit.

Now LISSUN UP,chaps [and any chappettes not yet bored to tears]
It seems that whenever I post summink,it's received with "Oh,Jeez-that Pug bloke's off again"...so,here's an attempt at that humour thing I've heard about.
Today,I finally achieved my ballet degree.

...[this is the good bit-pay attention]...I got a tu-tu.

. . . . oh,SOD off,the lotta yerz. I worked on that! #sigh#
Well that's better than getting a Vorderman.

Page 369 of 1676 « First < 269 319 359 367 368 369 370 371 379 419 469 869 1369 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top