Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 08:53 PM

Re: Yoga - health benefits

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I tried it for a while. The teacher didn't have an ounce of fat on him. It was hard - very hard. Probably did me a bit of good but I didn't last that long. I think I ended up doing Karate instead .

I'm not sure but the teacher fell on hard times I heard and is a bit of a mess now .
MK I think quite a few yoga teachers make that career move because they think it will fix their life. Those I've met have all been restless souls searching for something.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Good for you Annie!
That retreat sounds great, can you tell us where it was?

Forget the weights and treadmills, a simple daily stretching routine keeps me from aches and pains (so far!) even just five minutes when I'm getting dressed.
That one was in Croatia Ruthio, a truly beautiful country with lovely people well worth visiting just for itself.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

17-04-2017, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I have only ever heard good things about Yoga Annie and would love to give it a go. It's one of those disciplines that it would be best to attend classes and to be shown the correct way to do it, even if you practised it yourself after learning how to do it. A bloke attending classes filled with ladies would be a daunting challenge though. I understand that there is a lot more to Yoga than just stretching, I believe that breathing and a state of mind plays a major part also.

The retreat you visited sounds perfect Annie, and I yearn for something different, but I would have issues with a 'Vegan' diet and convincing Mrs Fox that it would do her more good than stretching out on a beach in Fuerteventura...Perhaps one day....

OGF the diet was amazing. I'm not even veggie although I wish I was (I've tried more than once), but these retreats have an amazing ability to make veggie/vegan meals really tasty and filling. I didn't miss meat at all. Where we stayed was very isolated and surrounded by nature. So no artificial light at night and really fresh air, natural produce etc. We did have internet so not totally isolated but otherwise a real escape from the normal hectic madness of life.

A (fifty-something) male colleague at work does yoga regularly and is quite happy to be the only guy in a class of women. Men really benefit from yoga because they have the upper body strength for some of the tougher moves. So you can really go for the max on developing core strength. It's headstands that men tend to find harder I think. But it does wonders for balance and stamina.

The mental side of yoga is what I find particularly beneficial. Conventional exercises don't tend to focus on that so much, but yoga really goes to town on how the mental and physical have to work together. I really noticed the change in mental attitude and how it's all connected to physical performance.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

17-04-2017, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I have been doing Pranayam yoga and another different one as well (can't remember the name offhand) for getting on for 7 years now Annie.
It concentrates a lot on breathing exercises - that is what keeps us alive after all, so may as well learn to breathe well.
I must look into that because I really enjoy learning to use the breath and when you are in a class they do tend to focus on the more sexy and adventurous moves. But breathing well makes everything else in your body go into balance.

I have learned there are good teachers and not so good, and they all have their own as there are many different types of yoga.
That's so true. It's also such a personal relationship that you really have to find one you're comfortable with.

Some people try it once and say they don't like it, so never go again, which is shame, because all they need to do is try a different method instead.
With me it's finding the time, but I'm always looking for a more effective practice. The one I've been learning recently is vinyasa which is quite intense and high energy. The you tube programme also seems to be vinyasa. I loved the ashtanga class I did years ago but that was super-energetic and def. for the young. I'd like something which builds up stamina more incrementally. Not that I'm lazy, just getting older .... Someone at work was training to be a yoga teacher and did classes after work. She did something that seemed very gentle but I could feel the effects for weeks. Unfortunately she moved on so I wish I'd asked her the method. If you remember the name of the other one you do please share.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 10:02 PM

Thank You Annie , I will give it a go tomorrow .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

17-04-2017, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Thank You Annie , I will give it a go tomorrow .
You're welcome , but take it easy. I didn't originally post the link because yoga can cause injury if you get the pose wrong, which is easier to do outside a class.
CrosbyCulbert
New Member!
Melbourne
CrosbyCulbert is male 

14-03-2018, 05:07 AM

Informative thread and sharing on yoga health benefits and like to add besides soothing stress, yoga helps us in maintaining healthy body weight and keeps us active.
[Mod edit: link removed]
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2018, 12:23 AM

I know this is an old thread but I do yoga most mornings for about 25 to 30 minutes. I’ve done a lot of different DVDs including ones from Gaiam with Suzanne Deason but my favourite DVDs are ones created by Kate Potter called Namaste. The series I’ve got has 13 different sequences and the music, digital backgrounds and instruction is just perfect for me. It really does help with arthritis and helps keep me flexible. I’m actually more flexible now than when I was younger which is a good thing.

Are you still doing yoga Annie and if so what are your favourite poses?

Anybody else do yoga?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2018, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I know this is an old thread but I do yoga most mornings for about 25 to 30 minutes. I’ve done a lot of different DVDs including ones from Gaiam with Suzanne Deason but my favourite DVDs are ones created by Kate Potter called Namaste. The series I’ve got has 13 different sequences and the music, digital backgrounds and instruction is just perfect for me. It really does help with arthritis and helps keep me flexible. I’m actually more flexible now than when I was younger which is a good thing.

Are you still doing yoga Annie and if so what are your favourite poses?

Anybody else do yoga?

Yes Bratti, as I said earlier, I've been doing it with the Hindu people for about 7 years now.
Their way is not at all like the English tutors, it more spiritual. We always start and end with a prayer too, I have never had an English tutor who does this, have you?

At the end we also say together - "May all be happy, May all be healthy, May all enjoy prosperity, May non suffer."

One of my tutors also adds - "May all be positive."
She is always telling us to think positive, never allow your self to think negative.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2018, 12:44 AM

Yes Bratti, as I said earlier, I've been doing it with the Hindu people for about 7 years now.
Their way is not at all like the English tutors, it more spiritual. We always start and end with a prayer too, I have never had an English tutor who does this, have you?

At the end we also say together - "May all be happy, May all be healthy, May all enjoy prosperity, May non suffer."

One of my tutors also adds - "May all be positive."
She is always telling us to think positive, never allow your self to think negative.
No way??? Oh how awesome that you have the privilege of doing it with Hindu people. That’s truly amazing.
The yoga I do is very spiritual also and it always finishes with a prayer. It starts with a warm up, then the main routine and ends with a cool down ( shivansana ) and a prayer. I think that’s wgy I like the series so much. The instruction is dubbed in afterwards so it’s not in the least bit distracting.
Yoga mindset should always be geared towards positivity.

Where abouts do you do your yoga and what time of the day?
So very cool.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top