Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 06:29 PM

Re: Scottish Banknotes

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Yup BUT it's entirely a decision between the 2 separate parties of a transaction what banknotes they choose to accept.

That means both YOU and any retailer have the freedom to refuse any kind of banknote.

Doesn't matter whether it is UK banknotes or Scottish banknotes.

If you walk into a local UK corner shop and buy 1 single apple and try to hand over a £50 note the retailer can happily refuse to accept it.

Similarly if I walk into a Costa coffee shop in the UK hand over a UK £10 note to pay £3 for a coffee, and the barista hands me a Scottish £5 note as part of my change, I am within my rights to refuse it and to ask for a UK £5 note.

This isn't about "legal tender" which has a different meaning to what most think. It's about buying and selling transactions between parties.
A UK banknote!? We are all part of the UK are we not? I presume you mean a Bank of England note. I know the difference between tender and currency and about buying and selling transactions. UK banknote indeed! England is not the UK my friend.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 01:17 AM

ah the great british dilemma! are we british or english or european - the mist clouds the eyes!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It seems to depend on the retailer. I had a couple of Scottish notes left over and used them here in SW with no problem. I agree though, there shouldn't be a problem using them anywhere.

When my Scottish friend came down here, she used their notes without any problems too dongles. I thought they were perfectly legal and most shops don't refuse?
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
When my Scottish friend came down here, she used their notes without any problems too dongles. I thought they were perfectly legal and most shops don't refuse?
Aye,You're right Mups.they are perfectly legal,but some checkout assistants etc' have never seen a Scottish banknote before and it's bloody annoying when I have to explain that to Them...and then They ring for the Manager to have it confirmed.....I just won't go through all that malarkey again so take English notes with Me or just use My card.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
they are perfectly legal
Legal or not, no shop is obliged to take Scottish banknotes, they can refuse to take them any time they like. Similarly I, as a customer, can refuse to take a Scottish banknote if a shop tries to hand me one. Same is true for UK notes.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Legal or not, no shop is obliged to take Scottish banknotes, they can refuse to take them any time they like. Similarly I, as a customer, can refuse to take a Scottish banknote if a shop tries to hand me one. Same is true for UK notes.
Where in My post did I say a shop in England was OBLIGED to take Scottish bank notes?...Scottish/English/Northern Irish bank notes are ALL UK notes....Are You saying a shop in England can refuse to take English banknotes? if so,what would be Their reason for doing so?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 09:02 PM

I think everyone gets confused about acceptable tender and legal tender

Legal tender is an old term, something that is legal to clear debt

Acceptable tender is whatever is agreed by the two parties

Legally no seller has to accept any type of note or coin, no matter who made them, its as simple as that

If they decided they wanted payment in cheese straws, thats their choice

We are just so used to having two countries, a principality and a Provence with free travel about them, along with the IOM and the Channel Islands all readily accepting the Bank of England notes and coinage, we just cant accept that traders don't have to accept the notes or coins of any bank they don't wish to

A stamp is acceptable tender, but no trader has to accept it in payment
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Are You saying a shop in England can refuse to take English banknotes? if so,what would be Their reason for doing so?
Yes, a shop can refuse to accept any kind of banknotes or indeed other payment methods, like for example not accepting credit cards.

If you walk into your local corner shop to buy a Twix bar and hand over a £50 note (you just don't happen to have anything less on you) then the shop can and most likely will refuse to take it.

They could just as easily refuse to take a £20 note too.

It's entirely up to the shop and to individual customers.

Obviously a shop that refuses to accept £20 notes might struggle to get frequent business from customers. A risk that is theirs to take. But it's an entirely possible scenario.

£50 notes are often shunned because there are a lot of fakes out there. If the same becomes true of £20 notes and if banks don't support businesses by exchanging fakes for real notes, then you can certainly bet that businesses would start refusing £20 notes.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 12:55 AM

I thought all scots notes were fakes??
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
Old chestnut I know but it’s happened again and it really pisses me off. Tried to pay with a Scots fiver in deepest Yorkshire, one of my favourite places ever, and got the knock back. A
Take heart dear Scottish person I have some English banknotes which are equally useless having been replaced by state of the art polymer banknotes.

Never fear, apparently you can go to a bank and change them for the new money. When in Rome and all that...

Actually I vaguely recall that Irish and Scottish banknotes are not legal tender anywhere in the UK they are accepted only by agreement. The only legal tender is Bank of England issued notes - or is it 'Royal Mint' issued?.

Coins also have limitations is the amount you can offer as I recall you could only offer pennies up to the value of 2/- over that amount it was legal to refuse them - it might have been 2/1d was the limit. Presumably something similar still applies.

BTW that is a distant memory from school days (perhaps not that long) so it might not be 100% true.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top