Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 07:29 PM

Re: Slow Cooker Soups ( ideas, suggestions or recipes please )

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Can you make these if you haven't got a slow cooker, on a low gas or induction hob?
Originally Posted by Judd ->
Yes, or a cast-iron creuset style casserole in a low oven but a slow cooker is cheaper and easier because once switched on, it can be forgotten about.
I agree . A low simmer will work but it’s much more work.
The fact that it uses such little electricity and can be prepared and left until ready is a fabulous thing. Plus slow cookers don’t cost much. The one I purchased was about $36 Canadian dollars and it has a timer on it so it shuts off when finished.

I’ll have to add my split pea soup recipe later. It’s a meal in a dish and is so good. Plus it’s really healthy stuff.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 08:11 PM

oooops I didn't realise it was for slow cookers only. I make my soups on top of the stove.

Butternut Squash, Sweet Potato & Bacon Soup

1 medium butternut squash - peeled, seeded and diced
2 Medium Sweet Potatoes diced
Rashers of Smoked Bacon
2 Vegetable Oxos
Lazy Garlic
Turmeric
Basil
Mixed Herbs
Black Pepper
Chili Powder (The chilli and garlic are optional, great if you like it spicy)

Put the diced butternut squash and sweet potatoes in a pan and bring to the boil. Chop the bacon and add to the pan. Add in all the herbs and spices mentioned omitting the chilli if you don't like it too spicy.
Once the butternut squash and sweet potato is soft put in a blender and blend till smooth (you can set some cubes aside if you like chunky soup.

Trust me its gorgeous, I took some to work for my colleagues and they want more!! I've started something now haven't I lol.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Can you make these if you haven't got a slow cooker, on a low gas or induction hob?
I cook all the ingredients for my soups in a saucepan - blitz them in the blender when cooked - then return to the saucepan to heat through. No need for a slow cooker at all.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 10:07 PM

Not a problem if it’s not a slow cooker recipe. I also do some soups in my deep electric frying pan as well. For myself , it all depends on the soup and how much time I have on hand.

You definitely don’t need a slow cooker to make soup. I’m just lazy. Lol.

Thanks Lion Queen. You just reminded me to add garlic to mine.. I’ve never tried putting bacon in butternut squash soup and it’s one of my favourites so I’m looking forward to trying it.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 10:54 PM

Made loads of tasty soups for a homeless charity a couple of years ago, every Sunday.

The best were:

Roasted Red Pepper and Sweetcorn (plus sweet potatoes)

Spicy Parsnip and Apple

Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato (with a bit of cinnamon)

If you make soups you have no need of a recipe. The basic principle is always the same. Fry/sear the basic ingredients which nearly always include onions. Then boil them all with whatever spices (or whack in the slow cooker whatever).
Finally Blitz and sieve if necessary.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

21-11-2018, 11:12 PM

Thank you for ‘your’ ideas & opinions on soup making Realist.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

22-11-2018, 12:43 AM

Hey Judd, you’re idea of adding ginger to the broth is fantastic. This is by far the nicest broth I’ve ever made. The ginger really takes the broth to a whole new level. Very nice and thank you again. That was a GREAT tip and I will remember to add it each time I make it.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 02:15 AM

Glad you enjoyed it. The ginger gives the soup some depth and a bit of soothing heat too. I took some of the cooked veg out before blitzing the remainder and cooked that with some Quorn pieces for my tea. Very satisfying as it had lumps of cooked ginger in it and the sweet potato chunks were still quite firm. The soup has been put into three plastic containers, one in the fridge to use tomorrow and two in the freezer for another day.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 05:51 AM

Not a fan of soup no matter where it is made. Soup is neither a meal nor a drink - never seen the point of it.

I except Chines "soups" which are jammed full of noodles, meat, spices etc and really are just a wet meal. For example Chee Cheong Fun (I think that means Pigs Intestines because the noodles look like them)

Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

22-11-2018, 05:57 AM

Yes Judd, the ginger gives the soup a lot of depth and a bit of tang.
I made 7 plus quarts of turkey stock first using a turkey carcass, onions, celery and carrots. After picking off the turkey pieces I added a pile of stuff and let it cook for about 6 to 7 hours. I also added 2 turkey drumsticks and 5 turkey wings which added a nice amount of meat. Tomorrow I’m going to cook some rice and add it this this dish as well as some more seasoning. I’ll write out the recipe as well so I can add it here along with a picture.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top