Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 06:18 AM

The Velvet Underground

What a real rock band should be;sleazy,dirty and just a bit creepy.(That's the impression I got anyway,they were probably nice clean living folk)

longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 06:58 AM

Re: The Velvet Underground

OMG Smithy I think you have just given me ear-ache for the rest of the day.

In my early years you may have got away with this sound because I would probably have been as high as a kite and it may well have made some sense.

But today all I can hear is a load of different music mixed together that should not be.

Good try though mate.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 07:07 AM

Sorry about that.How about this one to restore your ear drums

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 07:44 AM

Sorry on mobile so can't post vid but Venus In Furs probably sums up this dirty, sleazy but classic band. "Shiny shiny. Shiny boots of leather....Whiplash girlchild in the dark". How sweet and clean cut.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 08:10 AM

Morning guys god its bleeding cold out there had to scrape the windscreen then the hound wanted to walk around the lakes to see her friends. All I wanted to do was get back in the car but we fellas have to obey the females no matter what breed they are.
Still it gets me away from the computer screen for a while and gives me some exercise.

Yes Smithy I think I will give them a wide berth there is still a numbness in my drums from the first tune.
Or it maybe the cold winds out there.

Gotta grab a coffee and maybe more Dylan today which is now still playing in the background.

Catch yer laters down the musical road.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 11:00 AM

Interestingly, Bob Dylan's Columbia producer, Tom Wilson, who produced all his albums from Freewheelin' to Highway 61 (1963-1965), was brought in as the Velvets producer for their first two albums (1967/1968), which were on Verve. Between Dylan and the Velvets, Wilson signed the Mothers of Invention to Verve (1966).

Additionally, while working with Dylan, Wilson also produced Simon & Garfunkel's debut LP Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M. (1964), which included "The Sound of Silence".

Wilson ended up going "psychedelic" with Soft Machine in 1968.

His was a name I saw on many an album cover and never forgot .....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 02:21 PM

Couldn't stand them at the time and listening to that now I can agree with my younger self what a racket !
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Couldn't stand them at the time and listening to that now I can agree with my younger self what a racket !
I quite liked some of the tracks - I was 1 of the 30,000 who bought the album, thought I can do that, bought a guitar and formed a band .....

But, there were much better albums that year, including:

The Beatles (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Magical Mystery Tour),

Big Brother and The Holding Company (Big Brother and The Holding Company),

Traffic (Mr. Fantasy),

Pink Floyd (The Piper at the Gates of Dawn),

Cream (Disraeli Gears),

The Rolling Stones (Between the Buttons and Their Satanic Majesties Request),

The Who (The Who Sell Out),

The Jimi Hendrix Experience (Are You Experienced? and Axis: Bold As Love),

Bob Dylan (Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits)

Dusty Springfield (Where Am I Going? )

The Moody Blues (Days of Future Passed)

Driscoll, Julie, Brian Auger & The Trinity (Open)

Gentry, Bobbie (Ode to Billie Joe)

Roy Harper (Sophisticated Beggar)

The Incredible String Band (5000 Spirits Or The Layers Of The Onion)

John Martyn (London Conversation)
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 05:04 PM

I love the Velvets, Dylan too.
Psmith
melbourne australia

11-12-2018, 11:31 PM

I would liked to have seen them live in the early days.I think they would have been brilliantly shambolic.
Someone(LF) should turn their volume down on this one :

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top