Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 10:53 AM

Re: Growing Ginger

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I have had a reread and def says 7m perhaps it's a different strain ? or perhaps they made a mistake ? who know
No, edible ginger definitely only grows to about 1.5m and I think the ornamental is the same. It must be a misprint, I have seen paddocks of it in Queensland and it is not as tall as corn or sugar cane.

7m is a big tree/bamboo and they are definitely not treelike
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I have had a reread and def says 7m perhaps it's a different strain ? or perhaps they made a mistake ? who know

I'm intrigued.
Got a link please Julie?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
No, edible ginger definitely only grows to about 1.5m and I think the ornamental is the same. It must be a misprint, I have seen paddocks of it in Queensland and it is not as tall as corn or sugar cane.

7m is a big tree/bamboo and they are definitely not treelike
You've convinced me I've ordered the seeds, we'll see if we can get it in a sunny place and see what happens.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 10:59 AM

I have grown it but it is a bit of weed if you are not careful - it can get away from you and spread where you don't want it.

I just used ginger from the supermarket, you can always find some with 'buds' - it sprouted well. Once it starts sprouting just divide up the clumps. Easy as...

There are ornamental varieties of ginger which are grown for their flower (though to be honest I don't think the flowers of the two varieties are much different just big yellow fllowers)

There is still some growing in a passageway at the side of my house

Bruce, that's interesting.
I had thought about growing just a few bits of rhyzome in a tub. That should control any spread do you think?

I am wondering if yours is a different variety because the leaves of yours do not like the leaves here. Take a look.

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I had thought about growing just a few bits of rhyzome in a tub. That should control any spread do you think?
Oh yes, pots are fine, it is not as bad as bamboo, in fact I am not sure how it would survive your winter, you might have to take it indoors but if you only want it for the roots then that is not a problem.

http://www.handyman.net.au/how-grow-ginger

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2018.12.29_21h06m24s_001_.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	8297  
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

29-12-2018, 11:17 AM

I am wondering if yours is a different variety because the leaves of yours do not like the leaves here. Take a look.
Actually I am not entirely sure that the taller plant in the first photo is Ginger the smaller pieces are (with much more slender leaves). I have a horrible feeling the taller one is a similar plant but actually an escapee seed from the front garden of another weedlike plant.

I'll have a closer look tomorrow by digging it up
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

29-12-2018, 11:36 AM

Oh yes, pots are fine, it is not as bad as bamboo, in fact I am not sure how it would survive your winter, you might have to take it indoors but if you only want it for the roots then that is not a problem.

http://www.handyman.net.au/how-grow-ginger

You are right about it not surviving winter here. Apparently it won't survive in cold and wet.
I was thinking about a pot which I could stand outside in summer then bring indoors to overwinter.

The ones in your link look a lot bigger at 2 mtrs, than the stuff I have seen at more like 2 ft.
I must explore this more, and make sure I get the right variety for growing in pots.
Thanks Bruce.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

11-02-2019, 12:27 AM

Hey folks, guess what?

I have been unable to locate any organic ginger, even my organic farmer friend couldn't help. So I took a chance and bought some nice fresh ginger from two different supermarkets and planted some.

I read somewhere to soak it in lukewarm water over night first, which I did, then kept it in the boiler cupboard on the window sill, as it's nice and warm in there.

Well, about 3 or 4 weeks past and nothing happened, but I've only got a green shoot just over half an inch long, haven't I.
I'm chuffed to bits, and dying to see how/if it grows.

Will post pics later if it grows on alright.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 12:39 AM

Hey folks, guess what?

I have been unable to locate any organic ginger, even my organic farmer friend couldn't help. So I took a chance and bought some nice fresh ginger from two different supermarkets and planted some.

I read somewhere to soak it in lukewarm water over night first, which I did, then kept it in the boiler cupboard on the window sill, as it's nice and warm in there.

Well, about 3 or 4 weeks past and nothing happened, but I've only got a green shoot just over half an inch long, haven't I.
I'm chuffed to bits, and dying to see how/if it grows.

Will post pics later if it grows on alright.
Gosh, that must have been a nice surprise Mups. I hope it grows, we can all try it then
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 10:44 AM

I like ginger with freckles, ginger hair looks like sunshine!

I tried growing a ginger plant years ago, it didn't work. Ginger plants are quite attractive. I don't like the taste of ginger though.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top