Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 12:39 AM

Re: Les Miserables.

Finally started to watch this series. after a couple of episodes I think it is brilliant and am enjoying every minute.

It follows the book reasonably well so far and deals with some of the issues the musical failed to explain (like Gavroche though it doesn't mention his two brothers)

I must admit that occasionally I am expecting the characters to burst into song but terrific series.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 01:32 AM

One of the bits I liked in the book was the description of the elephant in which Gavoche lived and how it was full of rats which somehow they protected themselves from with wire netting .
Also how Jean Val Jean lived within the convent .
Recognised by the man he had saved from under the cart .
I thought Cosette was the weakest part of the book .
She quickly abandoned her dear old dad for her new way of life .
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Finally started to watch this series. after a couple of episodes I think it is brilliant and am enjoying every minute.

It follows the book reasonably well so far and deals with some of the issues the musical failed to explain (like Gavroche though it doesn't mention his two brothers)

I must admit that occasionally I am expecting the characters to burst into song but terrific series.
I just cannot imagine the story without the fabulous music...

https://youtu.be/
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 02:57 PM

Wonderful musics and a great film !
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Wonderful musics and a great film !
Yep! You aren't wrong Muds x
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 05:13 PM

The stage production of the musical is better than the film.IMHO.I've seen it on stage several times and love it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2019, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by rhosyn ->
The stage production of the musical is better than the film.IMHO.I've seen it on stage several times and love it.
I am with you on this the stage version is far superior to the film.

The only thing the film does is add some of the scenes from the book (like the Elephant) but it still doesn't deal with some of the issues in the book like how Fantine got pregnant, Thenardier's relationship to Marius' father, Gavroche's relationship to Eponine or his younger brothers etc. The series deals with some of these but does fudge others, for example how Valjean got his job in the convent.

I still haven't watched all the series yet but it is excellent and I was amazed to discover how many French had British accents.

(There is the 25th Anniversary concert version on Youtube which is worth downloading but I notice now that you have to get it in bits as the complete concert has gone behind a Youtube pay wall)
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

17-02-2019, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by rhosyn ->
I saw the stage production in London some years ago .
It was wonderful too .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

17-02-2019, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I am with you on this the stage version is far superior to the film.

The only thing the film does is add some of the scenes from the book (like the Elephant) but it still doesn't deal with some of the issues in the book like how Fantine got pregnant, Thenardier's relationship to Marius' father, Gavroche's relationship to Eponine or his younger brothers etc. The series deals with some of these but does fudge others, for example how Valjean got his job in the convent.

I still haven't watched all the series yet but it is excellent and I was amazed to discover how many French had British accents.

(There is the 25th Anniversary concert version on Youtube which is worth downloading but I notice now that you have to get it in bits as the complete concert has gone behind a Youtube pay wall)
The book is extremely long and involved Bruce .
It would take hours to go into every detail as every character has a story that eventually intertwines with Jean Val Jean at some point .

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top