Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 03:49 AM

Re: Dashcams: Drivers' footage leads to prosecutions

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Man A is a claim free driver, never had any convictions or claims

Man B has 2 speeding tickets, 3 claims under his belt and has been previously done for drink driving

Are you saying that both men will receive the same quotation figure on the basis that they just have the same car?
Where and how the car was stored would have far more bearing on the premium - as far as I am aware they only ask, and I quote:

In the last 5 years have you had insurance refused, cancelled, avoided or renewal not offered, no claim refused and no special conditions imposed?

Have you had a licence cancelled or suspended due to driving offences in the last 2 years?

The insurance application also says:

You can reduce the under 25 age excess from $1600 to $400 by telling us that a person under 25 might drive the vehicle. This may affect the premium you pay.

As I say you insure the car not the driver if you fall foul of the two conditions above just register and insure the car in your wife's/son's/daughter's name. That would be no good to me because I get my rego free because I am a pensioner.

Happy now?

As an aside different companies view risks differently. My son used to have a new Holden Thunder Ute which is viewed as a sports car here (3.5 litre V6 or 6 litre V8) some companies will only insure them if the applicant is over 30. My son (25 at the time) shopped around and found comprehensive premiums varied by over $1200 per year.

The funny thing is that now he has a 2004 2 litre VW Golf with just bomb insurance.

I should also add that if you drive without a valid licence, not only are you charged with driving unlicensed but you are also charged with driving whilst uninsured because your CTP insurance is only valid if the vehicle is driven by a licensed driver.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 10:47 AM

Clearly all quite different to things in the UK Bruce.

That said I see that insurer Allianz for example operates a "Star Rating" scheme where good drivers with no claims etc get more stars than more dangerous/risky drivers and so get better premiums and benefits. Presumably other companies operate similar schemes?

I'm wondering whether in Aussieland they generally just charge people lots of money on a blanket basis rather than try to assess everyone individually.

Do you end up paying 1000s dollars for your insurance?

Over here drivers with good records can get comprehensive insurance for £150 to £200
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Clearly all quite different to things in the UK Bruce.

That said I see that insurer Allianz for example operates a "Star Rating" scheme where good drivers with no claims etc get more stars than more dangerous/risky drivers and so get better premiums and benefits. Presumably other companies operate similar schemes?

I'm wondering whether in Aussieland they generally just charge people lots of money on a blanket basis rather than try to assess everyone individually.

Do you end up paying 1000s dollars for your insurance?

Over here drivers with good records can get comprehensive insurance for £150 to £200

Here is my last fully comp insurance bill for my car, its a screen shot from an email.

That's about £290 for a two tonne, 3litre turbo diesel, garaged near Wollongong, unlimited km (you can get cheaper insurance if you only do say a max of 15000km a year) worth about $30500 (£15250). If I lived in a country town it would be much cheaper, if I lived in Sydney it would be more. Obviously that covers any licensed driver.

I think my son paid about $1200 a year for his Holden Ute (sports car owners pay a premium not to mention being under 30) but it was worth more than my car however now he pays about $100 for bomb insurance for his old Golf in Sydney

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2019.01.09_21h00m58s_001_.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	8366  

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top