Join for free
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 04:53 PM

Wallabies

On our local common area we've had a little herd of wallabies since they escaped from a big house in the 60s. They have done quite well sometimes there have been so many a cull was suggested then before they are culled suddenly the numbers go down. I am guessing it depends on the food available to them that makes them breed more some years. We haven't seen many over the summer but went over the common earlier and was surprised how near the road and the houses they were, quite unusual they are normally very shy and it's hard to see them even when they are in larger numbers.

Hoping that doesn't mean they are already looking for more food as last time that happened they really did end up in trouble and it wasn't uncommon to be confronted by one if you were walking over there, got a little dangerous as they may look cute but kick like a mule if they don't like you.

Don't want to start feeding them or it upsets their able to control their numbers but it's hard when you see them getting thinner.

Anyone else have a none native dweller near you ? Our wallabies can't be the only ones I am thinking.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 04:59 PM

Re: Wallabies

Hi

Not here Julie, but a huge Eagle Owl in Prees.

Most disconcerting at times driving at night to see a bird with a six foot wingspan coming towards you on a country lane.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 05:04 PM

There are parrots on Hampstead Heath, but they've been established there a very long time...thirty years at least, I think.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 05:13 PM

Wallabies escaped back in the early 60s when having exotics wasn't illegal. I've always thought we were lucky they weren't tigers really
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Wallabies escaped back in the early 60s when having exotics wasn't illegal. I've always thought we were lucky they weren't tigers really
The uk has hundreds of large cats on the loose , often denied but many sightings ( I saw my first way back in the early 80’s ) ...you’d be amazed at just what is out there !

https://youtu.be/HF9h29XRAaM

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top