Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 05:19 PM

French Creamed Eggs

Afternoon all, Well, I had fun making this for lunch for HWMO and me today. I couldn’t believe how tasty it was. First though, let me emphasise, this is not Scrambled Eggs!! Which we all make for breakfast in a matter of minutes. Still delicious, but this dish is far superior and tastier.

Secondly, don’t even bother to attempt this dish if you in a rush, on a diet or don’t love eggs, cream, butter or cheese, because this dish is smiling with these ingredients, I served the egg dish on triangles of fried bread cooked slowly in a pan of oil with garlic cloves added for extra flavour.but of course, you can always leave out the garlic cloves if cooking as a breakfast. I only added them because the recipe was using them.! lol. The triangles were then rested on kitchen paper until the eggs were cooked. (I fried the bread triangles slowly for about 2.½ minutes each side).

What you will need to serve two people.

1 small to medium frying pan for cooking the eggs (an egg pan if you have one)
1 frying pan large enough to take 4 triangles of bread for frying
1 bowl and 1 fork for stirring the egg mix
1 spatula (rubber or plastic preferably)
3 eggs
3 cloves of garlic, sliced very thinly for frying the bread (optional)
1 teaspoon of Dijon Mustard
2 oz of grated Gruyere Cheese (yeah right, not a staple in my fridge, good ol’ strong cheddar was used)
A little bit of single cream, and maybe a bit more if you want to add extra to keep creamy.
A couple tablespoons of Butter (real butter if you have it)
A pinch of salt and pepper
A couple of Chives chopped finely (optional)

Method.

To make your egg mix, crack your 3 eggs into a bowl. (do not use a whisk as this makes the mix too airy) Using a fork, mix your eggs with a fork until well combined. You don’t want to see any bits of white or yolk.A pinch of salt and pepper. Put to one side.

Grate your Cheese and put aside. Finely slice your chives if using. Also do about 2 tablespoons of butter ready to use.

Starting with the fried bread, Place enough oil in your pan for the bread triangles to float.
Add the finely chopped garlic cloves to the oil and place the pan on the oven ring on the very lowest setting you can do it at. You want the oil hot enough for the bread to bubble gently but not burn. The garlic cloves will infuse the oil but be careful, you can use the garlic cloves until they turn brown, but if they start to turn black remove immediately as if this colour they are turning bitter and not a very nice flavour to anything.

While the oil is heating on a very low heat (please remember lowest heat ONLY), cut off all the crusts of two whole slices of white bread, then cut the two crustless slices of bread crossways into 4 triangle shapes.

When you think the oil is hot enough, place the bread triangles in and let them cook gently on one side for about 2 minutes or so, turn them and let cook for same time.
When they are nice and crispy, lay them on top of kitchen paper on a warm, plate and set aside.

Using the same VERY low heat method, place your egg pan onto the heat, add a little butter to melt but do not let it burn, When you add your egg mix, you want it to be hot enough to see the edges already starting to coagulate but you should not hear the eggs make a noise at all as you put the mix into your pan. If you do, immediately remove from the heat to cool. Using your spatula, k you need the mixture to remain sloppy and creamy at all time. Now add half of the grated cheese, stirring all the time, a little more cream. A little more butter. Then add the rest of the cheese. The mixture should still be very creamy as you have cooked it for longer on a low heat.

At the last minute, add the chives and gently stir though/.

Put two triangle fried slices per plate. And half each of the French Creamed Eggs on top. Wallah! I promise you, they will taste divine.

I originally took this recipe from LeCordon Bleu on Youtube. Just put “How to Make French Creamed Eggs” into the search box and you will love watching this Chef make this dish.

Enjoy !

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top