Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 05:48 PM

Healing with The Power of Prayer

This thread is mainly for Christians because I am sure we are the only ones that believe in healing through prayer.

I don't say that "good thoughts"/"Good Vibes" are wrong, they are just different that what I believe and we are all different.

I "believe" in healing if someone is very ill and they want to get better. One Christrian praying for you is great, but 2 or 3 is even better, and a whole chain of prayer warriors is "PERFECT".

At my age (76), I don't want a healing. I have suffered very bad all my life, and I welcome death. It has been physically and mentally terrible and sometimes I would "cry out" to God to let me die......but I guess He is not ready for that yet. He must be holding on a little longer for some reason, so I have to wait and see....

If you are ill, and you are not a Christian, you can become one, with just a few short sentences, and you can pray for healing, and get other Christians praying for you also. And, you don't have to be a Christian to get healed.

Give it a try. What have you got to lose?

Are you afraid that someone will laugh at you? Let them laugh, as long as you get what you need, what else matters?

You may get stung by mean words, but you can overcome that by faith. Faith is the answer to everything....especially sickness.

Just a few weeks ago a small child from my church was very sick, it didn't look like she was going to live. I started a prayer chain for her, because this is my "thing" in church, and I made sure that her name was mentioned in every Country in the world. Today, Praise God, I got the call, she has been taken off the critical list.....The Power of Prayer!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 11:27 PM

Re: Healing with The Power of Prayer

You are free to believe what you will Blueberry, but very clearly, the evidence is vastly against what you say.

There are literally millions of Christians in the world and they are mostly busily praying for other people. Yet those people don't get healed. They continue to die from various ailments.

It is incredibly dangerous imo to allow religious doctrine to cloud one's objectivity.

Maybe you could suggest why, despite millions of Christians praying, there still exists cancer in the world and why young innocent children continue to die.

If you are able to be objective and rational then the possible answers are as follows:

1) God doesn't exist and you are all praying to thin air

2) God exists but doesn't want the same thing that you want. He kills the person or allows them to be killed no matter how you pray.

3) God exists but isn't actually omnipotent so can't do the things you are praying for

I think most Christians, wanting to believe no matter what, to have faith etc etc would suggest that when people still die, no matter how hard they pray, it's because that was Gods plan all along.

In other words option 2 above.

That being the case though, it would totally negate the purpose of praying in the first place. There is no point praying if God is just going to do what HE wants regardless.

I don't write this to be antagonistic or controversial. I'm deeply interested in how people like yourself reconcile the theory with the realities we actually see in the world.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 08:31 PM

Awww, Realist, I should have known you would be the one to reply. I didn't think I would get any replies, but you took the time to reply, thanks for that. It is nice of you.

I respect you so much Realist and love everything you say in the health dept. I knink you know your stuff and should put out a "shingle". If I want to know something medically related, I would certainly get in touch with you, because I believe in you.....

But as far as my Christian faith goes, I am just not knowledgeable to answer any of your questions. I just "swing by my coat tails, and hang on for dear life"........praying all the way......

I read the bible, but I don't understand too much. I just know that "believing in Jesus, The Holy Spirit and God the Father" is where I find my comfort.
I don't search a lot Realist, as I don't want to live. I have suffered long enough (my whole life), and I am just living for the day I take my last breath.

I have a pretty serious situation going on right now and it is only a matter of time, and I will not do anything to stop it, as this is what I want, and I like to imagine the cute part about the streets of gold, the golder gate, the mansions, and crowns....

I am a little girl Realist. A poor little girl....with no one in the world to help me through this, so I have to have my father in Heaven cause He is always there and sometimes I even think I hear Him talking to me.

Thank you for your interest Realist. I don't pray for myself to get healed, but I do have a prayer chain and do a lot of praying for others. Many days I will get 4 or 5 emails asking for me to pray for someone, it is not unusual as all my friends know that if there is praying to be done, I am the girl to get in touch with.

God doesn't heal everyone, I don't know why. I don't understand God at all. I am not supposed to understand Him, He is in a different realm than I am.....He is Royalty.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 08:51 PM

It's a subject that divides.
I walk a lot and bump into JW's doing their rounds. We have polite conversations. I tell them that I am an atheist but that doesn't make us enemies.
"Why did you become an atheist" is usually the first question.
"We are all born atheists. What we subsequently come to believe is from our cultural, ethnic, and geographical upbringing."

"If god exists and is loving, why does he allow 20,000 a day to die of starvation?"

If I could prevent it, I would.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
God doesn't heal everyone, I don't know why. I don't understand God at all. I am not supposed to understand Him, He is in a different realm than I am.....He is Royalty.
We are all free to deal with life in the way that best suits us. I regret that so many people are steered into a specific way rather than being free to explore and discover all that life offers. I think the belief systems we have are stifling, self-serving and invariably put us on completely the wrong path.

I could not in good conscience devote my life to an abstract entity that does whatever it wants regardless of any human requests. Which clearly isn't omnipotent and who's documented history is one of terrible deeds, murders, genocide, ethnic cleansing, child killing and much more.

For whatever reason, I find that I have been given a level of intelligence, intuition, rationality and capacity to think. If there IS a maker, a creator of some kind, then I owe it to that entity to utilise the things I have been purposely given and to not waste my life allowing other humans to steer me down false belief systems. Unfortunately there does not seem to be much evidence of such a creator in the first place.

We each need our crutches to survive the world and we are all different. So good luck with your aspirations and I hope your next iteration of life is better and happier than this one.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 10:16 AM

I always think prayers for others are more likely to work than prayers for things you want yourself. I also think prayers to help people cope rather than cures are more likely to work.

But more people praying for the same thing that always seems to work more than a single prayer. More power I guess. I also appreciate good thoughts and healing thoughts etc too as they may not be from believers but I think God hears non believers too.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

27-01-2019, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
But more people praying for the same thing that always seems to work more than a single prayer. More power I guess.
Again the evidence doesn't support this imho. We still have millions of people suffering terrible afflictions and young kids dying of leukaemia and other cancers. As with Wild Blueberry I'm interested in how you reconcile those hard truths with your belief system. Are you suggesting that in all these cases that:

1) There just weren't enough people praying for them
2) The people praying weren't praying hard enough
3) It was God's will for these people to suffer and die

Personally I believe that the body and the true self has the capacity to heal itself but we are largely ignorant about how that process operates and so seldom tap into it. I do believe however that being in a true positive state is a part of that process which is akin to what we call the Placebo effect. By that I mean we can, if we work at it, get ourselves to a state where deep down we simply know that we will get better, where we know that the body can look after itself and recover. What actually occurs in that situation I can not say but the body must draw energy from somewhere in order to do its thing.

But to come back to your latter point, when a person is physically amongst other people who are all collectively praying for them, then that likely puts them in a positive state, it likely gives them comfort which removes the negative thoughts and energies and thus helps that person to get on the path of truly being positive about recovery which then helps the body achieve that. There's no "power" at work there as such, and no fluffy God waving magic wands to heal people. It's simply the Placebo effect which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Hence some people stay sick and some die, which of course a loving God (who wants people to pray) would not allow to happen.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 01:30 PM

I prefer not to criticise people's beliefs and so turn their happy thoughts into negative ones.

As long as they are not hurting anyone else (or you), they are as entitled to their beliefs as much as anyone else.

Don't crush people.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

27-01-2019, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I prefer not to criticise people's beliefs and so turn their happy thoughts into negative ones.

As long as they are not hurting anyone else (or you), they are as entitled to their beliefs as much as anyone else.

Don't crush people.
Hi Mups

No criticism involved. I asked genuine questions as to how they reconcile their belief system with the hard facts of reality. Their posting about what they believe to be the power of prayer on an open forum is a willingness to discuss it, their choice. At no point did I or anyone suggest they weren't entitled to their beliefs so a rather pointless statement on your part TBH. I'm simply encouraging people to THINK and ponder which cannot be a bad thing.

The irony of your post there is that in one breath you support the view that everyone is entitled to their views and in the next you are trying to tell me how and what I should post ! What a hoot !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 04:31 PM

I'm not sure opinions are beliefs or that beliefs are opinions. for those of us with faith anyway that is true.

People can say what they like though as I know and so do many others what we believe is our truth so what anyone else says can't hurt us.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top