Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 02:44 PM

Re: Vaccinations for dogs

I once had a sweet puppy show up at my house whom my parents were willing to take, but she contracted parvo almost immediately and was dying a horrible, horrible death before we had her euthanized to end her suffering.

Over the years, we've found three other puppies that were suffering horribly from distemper - convulsions, whimpering in unimaginable pain, diarrhea, and they likewise died or had to be euthanized.

Though I have had two of my dogs contract kennel cough despite having had the vaccination, none of my dogs have ever contracted any major diseases having been full vaccinated. Not taking any chances.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 03:04 PM

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...r-testing-dog/
worth reading
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
We have always had our dogs fully vaccinated. It is foolish to think a pet won't get a preventable illness sometime during its life time.
If going into kennels while on holiday a dog must be fully vaccinated and had the Kennel cough vaccination.

I would hate to think that every time we took our dog/s out for a walk we are risking their health, for the cost of an annual jab why risk it.
Having owned dogs for almost 50 years and often several at one time Sue and I would never forgive ourselves through lack of preventable treatment

Yes, most of us know this, but in my case I would no more imprison my dogs in kennels with strangers in order to go off and enjoy myself, than I would chop my head off!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
With my last two dogs, l didn’t have them vaccinated again after their booster. This was mainly because my poodle collapsed after having his booster injection and l thought he would die.
I read into it and found that many breeders didn’t vaccinate their dogs every year, mainly because of the expense.
There were lots of reports on the adverse affect the vaccinations had on many dogs too.
My vet never mentioned that l wasn’t having my dogs vaccinated.

Same happened to one of my Beddie pups, Art. I thought I was going to lose my little Alfie with his very first jab.
It also happened to a friend's GSD pup.

What injections mine do have are never done before 12 weeks either. Many people get them done too young, and I blame the vets for this.

When I bought my last one, Gertie, I specifically asked the breeder not to inject her early. I would see to it myself when she was a little stronger and had been away from her Mum.

Very early vaccs are a waste of money as if they have suckled well, the immunity from their mother is still there so an early jab is a pointless waste of money.

It makes me mad when some vets suggest vaccs, wormers, and de-flea treatments all together in a tiny pup straight from the nest.

If a breeder is worth their salt, along with providing full dietary information, they should also provide written information as to the worming programme the pup has had, when it was given and which product was used.

Some people just do what their vet suggests without asking the breeder for this information, and are therefore doubling up on treatments already given. Without this dietary infomation to go by, they change the food too.
So with double wormer, double flea treatments, vaccines, and a sudden change of diet, they wonder why the poor pup starts scouring and is poorly!

Of course each case is different, and if you obtain a dog not knowing anything about it's past, you have to judge for yourself on what course of action to take.

Just as a P.S. after the initial puppy vaccs and first year boosters, my dogs have only had homeopathic vaccines for well over 30 years.

I believe these are also accepted by insurance companies and some kennels now, but not positive.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 05:18 PM

I had a lovely labrador that developed terrible allergies after vaccinations .
Of course it may NOT have been the vaccines but nevertheless it was coincidental .
It ruined and shortened his life and afterward many treatments he developed cushings and was eventually put to sleep .
He could bear no more the vets could do no more.
Never again .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

26-01-2019, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I had a lovely dog that developed terrible allergies after vaccinations .
It ruined and shortened his life and afterward many treatments he developed cushings and was eventually put to sleep .
He could bear no more the vets could do no more.
Never again .

That's sad Muddy.

I guess no one treatment fits all, inspite of what they want us to believe.

We can only do our best to learn and make our own decisions when the time comes.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 05:32 PM

Unvaccinated dogs help spread disease. Vaccinated dogs don't
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

26-01-2019, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Unvaccinated dogs help spread disease. Vaccinated dogs don't

Only if they have a disease to spread!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 05:44 PM

Will insurance pay out if a pet gets ill having not had boosters?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

26-01-2019, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Will insurance pay out if a pet gets ill having not had boosters?

Last time I had dog insurance, they stated they would not pay out if the dog's illness was a disease they could have been vaccinated against.

They would still pay out for anything else, assuming you had full cover.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top