Join for free
Lawrence
New Member!
Devon
Lawrence is male 

26-01-2019, 11:30 AM

Curious

No expert but I've often wondered why there's a Scottish parliament, a Welsh one, two Irish ones but no English one....?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 11:33 AM

Re: Curious

Maybe because we were the original parliament for the whole of the UK and the others voted to brake away.
We couldn't vote to leave ourselves
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 11:36 AM

Wales has an Assembly. We don't have many powers.
London houses the parliament for England and Wales
Lawrence
New Member!
Devon
Lawrence is male 

26-01-2019, 11:59 AM

Winchester and Cardiff have a nice ring....
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2019, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lawrence ->
No expert but I've often wondered why there's a Scottish parliament, a Welsh one, two Irish ones but no English one....?
I’m tempted to say that Westminster is so anglocentric it is largely an English Parliament already (simple question of numbers). We eventually got a Parliament here in Scotland (albeit with limited power but it’s a start) because we organised and campaigned for it. If the English people want one I suggest they do likewise (a national parliament not regional assemblies), although it would be resisted by the unionist establishment as an even greater threat to the integrity of the UK. However, given that Brexit was, in part, fuelled by English Nationalism, maybe the time has come.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top