Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 02:46 AM

Wiped out by Climate Change?

This might be the first Australian extinction due to climate change. These animals have no mechanism for coping with heat, they do not pant or sweat.

Professor Williams and I are here to look for a creature called the white lemuroid possum, which scientists fear could become extinct due to climate change.

The white possum was nearly wiped out in the Mount Lewis region by a heatwave in 2005.

"After that time, we didn't see any lemuroids for seven years so the heatwave had knocked the population down to such a low level we couldn't find them spotlighting, using exactly the same methods where previously we'd seen lots of them," Professor Williams recalls.

"They started to recover, and after about seven years we started to see an occasional lemuroid, and then a couple and then four, so they were slowly recovering. Of course, that's until the next heatwave."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-...hange/10774516
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 08:56 AM

Re: Wiped out by Climate Change?

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
This might be the first Australian extinction due to climate change. These animals have no mechanism for coping with heat, they do not pant or sweat.

Professor Williams and I are here to look for a creature called the white lemuroid possum, which scientists fear could become extinct due to climate change.

The white possum was nearly wiped out in the Mount Lewis region by a heatwave in 2005.

"After that time, we didn't see any lemuroids for seven years so the heatwave had knocked the population down to such a low level we couldn't find them spotlighting, using exactly the same methods where previously we'd seen lots of them," Professor Williams recalls.

"They started to recover, and after about seven years we started to see an occasional lemuroid, and then a couple and then four, so they were slowly recovering. Of course, that's until the next heatwave."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-...hange/10774516
Oh dear that is a shame .
I wonder how often this has happened in the history of our planet ?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 09:04 AM

Gorgeous looking creature...this might sound simplistic and I'm sure there must be a reason why it can't happen but can't they introduce them into a more hospitable climate ? At least then the species will not die out.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 09:19 AM

Wow! That’s such a shame and your possums look so much cuter than ours.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 10:20 AM

The answer is millions of times actually ...
Fact is 99% OF ALL LIFE ever on this planet is already extinct ... FACT !

now whilst it’s obvious man has made its presence known in the short time we have been on this rock in the whole scheme of things we have been here but an instant , if you took the entire time earth has been here as 24 hours then man has been here but a minute and look at the amount of life in various ways that’s been here before and many lasted millions of years yet still extinction took them eventually just as it will us eventually as ‘the earth’ itself goes through many cycles from global warming to ice age ... happened many many times and will continue doing so with or without our help , true we may contribute but that doesn’t mean if we all left earth today that it wouldn’t continue doing so itself ... excellent question however their is no definitive answer and never will be

https://youtu.be/jtNs5k2KHXU

https://youtu.be/AeJSa_eariQ

But then there is also an argument to be said that who are we saving the planet for ?????

At the present birth rate it isn’t for us ... the world will eventually become Islamic and as demonstrated globally Islam cannot control itself and the bad guys rise to the top so are we really saving the planet for isis ? Sounds silly but hey ... it’s a valid argument

https://youtu.be/_kKkY5EpVpY

Possibly il start being green when I see a longer term reason why I should
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
Australia doesn't have a very good record but previous extinctions were due to man either by hunting, land clearing or introduced species like rabbits, foxes, cats and dogs. I think there are something over 100 species that are currently critically endangered.

This is the first one since white settlement that could go extinct due to climate change.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 08:29 PM

What a beautiful animal, it would be a shame if they disappeared
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 06:35 AM

Greenland was WARM during the Viking Age, new study claims

https://mol.im/a/6675647

So there is possibly an argument that climate change is a natural event

But, if a new study is correct, the era may not have been quite as cold as we’ve come to believe.
Using lake sediment cores collected in southern Greenland, researchers have reconstructed the region’s climate record for the past 3,000 years.
The study suggests the ancient settlers may have had balmy weather on their side when they arrived in the year 985 C.E, with summer temperatures sitting around 50-degrees

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top