Join for free
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 09:15 PM

Pond Removal

I'm cogitating (again) about having the pond removed. It's fairly large and set down in the path with a low wall around it. whilst I love the wild life that comes, it's too big and the trellis thing over it is falling down.

Not sure what to put there in it's place, either pave the area to match the rest (old 3 x 3 slabs or whatever sizes they are), or after it's filled in, make a planting area.

I'm worried about the cost too. I had a rough estimate from a bloke and he reckoned about £2,000

Not sure who would do it. Would it be a builder?

Here's an old picture to give an idea of size, it's more overgrown now. (BTW if you can see ducks, they are real )

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-05-21-13-27-04.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	8651  
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 09:22 PM

Re: Pond Removal

Have you drained the water out,Pesta?..that quote seems very steep to me!..I can see two ducks,I have to say,I would love a pond like that!...but I do have 2small ponds...or maybe they are water features,lol,..they are full of wildlife as well.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Have you drained the water out,Pesta?..that quote seems very steep to me!..I can see two ducks,I have to say,I would love a pond like that!...but I do have 2small ponds...or maybe they are water features,lol,..they are full of wildlife as well.
Hi Pauline, nope, not drained the water, it never gets any higher.
When I moved in 8 yrs ago, it was like that. The liner is holed in places.

It initially had fish, which the lady gave away (thankfully). It had the usual bells and whistles waterfalls etc, which I'm not into. I prefer to have a wild look so I added plants and stones and left it to grow

Every year it's frogs, tadpoles, newts, skaters... whatever.. oh and the ducks

Yes, the quote does seem steep. I think it's more to do with what happens after the pond has gone. Something will have to be there whether it's adding to the path or making a planting area.

It's all the man hours innit, not the materials
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 10:10 PM

Probably the cheaper option would be to remove the liner and fill in with top soil, then keep as a raised bed, you could plant shrubs, flowers or anything you fancy, I’m sure you could get soil cheaper than 2k, I would however, buy a small rigid pond, to keep water in your garden and encourage some aquatic life, they are relatively easy to fit if you are able, but that’s just me..
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->

I'm worried about the cost too. I had a rough estimate from a bloke and he reckoned about £2,000

Not sure who would do it. Would it be a builder?
At that price, it would be a full blooded cowboy!

Put your wellies on and pull out the plants. Put the floating plants / weed into plastic bags. Advertise........ Larger plants £8 to £10 each..........or split them and charge £3 per bit, £5 if potted.
Any fish in there? advertise those too. Sell all the pots in the water and all the plants. Empty out the water and you can even sell the liner too!

All these things cost a fortune to buy and will sell very quickly...............you'll even have offers of help to empty the pond etc etc for discounted plants and fish.

Use the m
oney to make a new patio, or seating area........buy some champagne with what's left over!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

06-02-2019, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Probably the cheaper option would be to remove the liner and fill in with top soil, then keep as a raised bed, you could plant shrubs, flowers or anything you fancy, I’m sure you could get soil cheaper than 2k, I would however, buy a small rigid pond, to keep water in your garden and encourage some aquatic life, they are relatively easy to fit if you are able, but that’s just me..
Yes, I agree with removing the liner, but before that could happen there's stones, rocks, plants with really invasive roots. Not to mention the life that's in there, all to be taken out first.
Every year I try to take some of the plants out, but just can't shift the roots.
There's no way I could physically remove the liner either

Hence the reason I'd have to get someone in and then make good the space, whichever route I go down.

Because I have enjoyed the wildlife coming to the pond, I know if I did get rid of it, I'd certainly have some sort of receptacle for water around, even a washing up bowl sunk in the ground somewhere

Edited: It's not the soil that costs 2K, it's the removal of the pond itself, the work and time involved and then doing whatever to the area afterwards.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

06-02-2019, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
At that price, it would be a full blooded cowboy!

Put your wellies on and pull out the plants. Put the floating plants / weed into plastic bags. Advertise........ Larger plants £8 to £10 each..........or split them and charge £3 per bit, £5 if potted.
Any fish in there? advertise those too. Sell all the pots in the water and all the plants. Empty out the water and you can even sell the liner too!

All these things cost a fortune to buy and will sell very quickly...............you'll even have offers of help to empty the pond etc etc for discounted plants and fish.

Use the m
oney to make a new patio, or seating area........buy some champagne with what's left over!
Just caught your post Lindyloo... see my last posting. the plants are all embedded in the liner (I think), so can't get them out. I nearly fell over last year trying to tug them out, and failed

No fish in the pond to sell.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Just caught your post Lindyloo... see my last posting. the plants are all embedded in the liner (I think), so can't get them out. I nearly fell over last year tugging them

No fish in the pond to sell.
You can still get those plants out by cutting the roots as close to the liner as possible. Pond plant roots need to be cut once in the while to keep the plant contained.

If you were to advertise the plants etc I'm sure someone would come forward who would clear your pond for free if they can keep the plants and anything else they can dredge up.........
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 10:37 PM

Put more fish in then charge anglers to fish there
Lindyloo
isle of wight

06-02-2019, 10:41 PM

"POND PLANTS - FREE! Contents of pond, including, weed, plants, plant baskets etc etc completely free of charge in exchange for clearing and draining pond (approx 6' x 3')** and leaving site in immaculate order".

You'd need to adjust the size of the pond!
Advertise on cards in newsagents and we'll take bets on how long it is before someone comes forward!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top