Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2019, 11:08 AM

Do You Ever Make Soda Bread?

I have been making Soda bread lately. It is so easy to make and so nice buttered with a cup of tea!

Here’s the one l made yesterday. I usually use buttermilk but l had some full fat milk that was going off. I can’t taste the difference.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	3EEE5F51-E476-4249-9012-29D6C2930290.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	8673  
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2019, 11:53 AM

Re: Do You Ever Make Soda Bread?

Looks good Art I think of soda bread as a close cousin to the scone.
I do make it but not very often
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2019, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I have been making Soda bread lately. It is so easy to make and so nice buttered with a cup of tea!

Here’s the one l made yesterday. I usually use buttermilk but l had some full fat milk that was going off. I can’t taste the difference.
Looks inviting but but needs marmalade to make it irresistible:

Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2019, 12:38 PM

I make it occasionally Art, but I don't bother getting buttermilk I just make my own by mixing a little lemon juice with semi skimmed... just as good
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2019, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->

Looks yummy!
Can you please post the recipe?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2019, 03:47 PM

Hi Art, made it three or four times now. Especially if I am not on a diet. Only problem is that I just cannot seem to make it as delicious as my lovely late Irish mum used to make it. Either that or my taste buds have diminished with age.
Still thoroughly enjoy cutting a nice thick slice off it, spreading enough real butter on so that when I take a bite it leaves an impression of my teeth marks and after buttering it, I then spread lovely strawberry preserve over the top
Mmmm, divine.

Here is a video of the recipe I always follow. The only extras I use are 1 cup of currents and 1/3 cup of raisins. (love my fruit soda bread) Also, sod breaking it in half and cutting from the heel, I always cut it lengthways so I always get one long greedy thick slice!

ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2019, 03:55 PM

What a charming video!
I love the bit about letting the fairies out, but one obviously got left behind because when the bread came out of the oven it had been turned upside down
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2019, 04:15 PM

Yes ruthio, when it comes out of the oven, give your soda bread a tap on the bottom part of the Bread, if it sounds nice and hollow, it's done to perfection. She really should have mentioned that, no doubt that's what she was checking when she took it out of the oven. Oh, I almost forgot, when making my version and adding the fruit (which I usually soak in orange juice before hand for an hour to soften the currents and raisins, then discard the orange juice) I also add a heaped teaspoon of sugar to the mix, it just makes it a little bit sweeter as a fruit Soda Bread. Of course, don''t add sugar if making an ordinary Soda Bread without the fruit.

Hope this helps.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2019, 05:28 PM

Aha - the wonderful Darina Allen - 'tis her recipe that I use as well - and the Kerrygold on it while it is still warm.

I would love to study at the Allen's cookery school at Ballymaloe - it is set on it's own organic farm and is world renowned among chefs.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

08-02-2019, 06:02 PM

Yes, she is so easy to follow isn't she.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top