Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 07:57 PM

Re: Do You Ever Make Soda Bread?

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Looks inviting but but needs marmalade to make it irresistible:

Omah, The marmalade looks lovely but l don’t like sweet stuff on bread just lots of butter! Tut Tut!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Looks good Art I think of soda bread as a close cousin to the scone.
I do make it but not very often
Meg, I just make it because it is so quick and saves me getting my breadmaker out!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

09-02-2019, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I make it occasionally Art, but I don't bother getting buttermilk I just make my own by mixing a little lemon juice with semi skimmed... just as good
Barry, Am l right in thinking that lemon juice makes the milk go sour?

My mother, who used to make the best soda bread used sour milk. Yet most recipes today, state buttermilk.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

09-02-2019, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Looks yummy!
Can you please post the recipe?
ruthio, These are the ingredients that l used recently.

6oz Allison’s plain wholemeal flour (I have used SR in the past)

6oz White Bread flour. (plain white will do but l needed to use up the bread flour!)

One carton of Buttermilk (300 mls)

I teaspoon of baking soda

1 teaspoon of salt

Extra milk if too dry.

I just swirled around the dry ingredients in a bowl until well combined and added all the buttermilk and kneaded it well.
I floured a baking tray, cut a cross in the dough and baked the soda bread at 200C for just over 30 mins in the oven.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

09-02-2019, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Hi Art, made it three or four times now. Especially if I am not on a diet. Only problem is that I just cannot seem to make it as delicious as my lovely late Irish mum used to make it. Either that or my taste buds have diminished with age.
Still thoroughly enjoy cutting a nice thick slice off it, spreading enough real butter on so that when I take a bite it leaves an impression of my teeth marks and after buttering it, I then spread lovely strawberry preserve over the top
Mmmm, divine.

Here is a video of the recipe I always follow. The only extras I use are 1 cup of currents and 1/3 cup of raisins. (love my fruit soda bread) Also, sod breaking it in half and cutting from the heel, I always cut it lengthways so I always get one long greedy thick slice!

SG, l immediately thought of you when l posted this thread! Thank You for adding the video.
My mother was the worst cook but she made the best soda bread! She also, used to tap the soda bread on the bottom to see if it was cooked after taking it out of the oven.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

09-02-2019, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Aha - the wonderful Darina Allen - 'tis her recipe that I use as well - and the Kerrygold on it while it is still warm.

I would love to study at the Allen's cookery school at Ballymaloe - it is set on it's own organic farm and is world renowned among chefs.
ST, l had never heard of Darina Allen before!
Kerrygold is the nicest butter!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 08:27 PM

Thanks Arty and Shrops for the recipes, I intend to do both...one day soon
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Thanks Arty and Shrops for the recipes, I intend to do both...one day soon
Hi

Get your skates on Ruthio.

I have just had a Steak Sandwich on home made Soda Bread with caramelised onions.

Lord Ruthio will be putty in your hands if you make him one.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top