Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 08:38 AM

Re: Have you killed a living animal?

I have killed wasps, slugs, and ants - but only if they have invaded my home. If they stay outside in their own environs they are perfectly safe.

I could never kill for sport - that is just barbaric - and if I had to kill my own food I would probably turn vegetarian!

There are creatures that I don't like very much - chimps, apes, parrots, rats, - but would never use my dislike as a reason for killing/hurting them.

Tigers? No, I could not kill a tiger, but could happily kill any human I found who was trying to kill a tiger.

Apart from humans there are very few creatures who kill for the sake of killing.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 08:43 AM

Indirectly I have killed many animals.
They were animals that had to be put down .
I took them to the vet or gave the order to.
( I worked for a humane society in society in Central America )
Yes I did feel bad about it sometimes it wasn't their time if given the right circumstances they may have lived on for some years .
But the circumstances were not there .
Today I do feel bad if I accidently tread on a snail and damage its shell
I don't know what to do about it
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 08:54 AM

As in Kahlil Gibran's "The Prophet".
"When you kill a beast say to him in your heart: By the same power that slays you, I too am slain; and I too shall be consumed.
For the law that delivered you into my hand shall deliver me into a mightier hand.
Your blood and my blood is naught but the sap of the tree of life."
Sometimes killing is the kindest option.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 09:50 AM

Absolutely !!! - Before Myxamatosis, the fields around where I lived were alive with Rabbits - went with my Dad and some friends and killed a few rabbits, which then became our food - love Rabbit stew!!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 10:17 AM

I have had to kill a few pond fish in the past that had become so ill that they were in obvious distress. Had to wrap them in a plastic bag then hit them against a rock or wall. Not a nice thing to do but I hope I was doing the right thing. I don't like killing anything, even things that I dislike like wasps.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 12:16 PM

I can't stand fly's or wasps indoors, so they are dispatched.
Bee's I catch and set free outside.

I can react quite bad with mozzie or gnat bites, so I am paranoid about searching them out before I get into bed, as I know they will zoom down and get me during the night otherwise.

When we took over the farm back in the ninety's, it had a huge rat problem, they were everywhere, so I had to get contractors in to deal with them.

The only other times I can think of is when I have taken a beloved pet to the vet for euthanasia.

I suppose if something was trying to kill me or my dogs though, my instinct would do my utmost not to let that happen.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 07:03 PM

Dispatched quite a few trout.
Hit a rabbit with a car once, idiot thing got half way across then decided to turn around.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 07:10 PM

I think I killed that spider whose leg I inadvertantly mutilated under the glass...

Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 07:12 PM

Oh, and headlice!

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I think I killed that spider whose leg I inadvertantly mutilated under the glass...

I have done that, caught it's leg and probably ruined it forever before turning it out on a rainy night. Upsetting!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top