Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 09:59 PM

Re: Good Ol' England

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
All I know is that NO-ONE should criticise someone born in England, objecting to wanting to be known as English rather than British, especially from those born in Scotland, Wales or Ireland, who would certainly never answer to the word British if asked themselves.

I think it is disgraceful that Scottish, Welsh, Irish is always on official forms but English has been omitted. Why is that? I always fill out forms with the word English where it asks British?

It seems that other countries respect the word more than our own government. You ask Americans for instance, if they are planning to come or have already visited. It is nearly always referred to as "England".
We could certainly take a lesson from them.
I thought it was established some threads back that Scotland; Wales ; Northern Ireland and England were considered part of Britain - and so if you are from England and English stock you can claim you are British or English either will stand? But I do agree the official forms have got it wrong English should be an option too! Asking a Scots or Welsh or Irish [N] are you British should receive a YES response surely?
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 12:21 AM

Every official form I fill in with a tick box for british and none for English I cross out british and add English in place.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by basser ->
Every official form I fill in with a tick box for british and none for English I cross out british and add English in place.
Good idea, but it occurs to me that the pen-pusher who happens to have the responsibility of collating all of the submitted information would likely end up ticking the box named "British" regardless of your choice of the word "English".

Apologies for my verbosity.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 01:02 AM

Doubtless if they did put English as a choice there would be those who would complain that there are no boxes for Yorkshire, Lancashire, Leicestershire, Sussex, etc...
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Good idea, but it occurs to me that the pen-pusher who happens to have the responsibility of collating all of the submitted information would likely end up ticking the box named "British" regardless of your choice of the word "English".

Apologies for my verbosity.

Yes but the point has been made and that's what counts.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND

20-02-2019, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Doubtless if they did put English as a choice there would be those who would complain that there are no boxes for Yorkshire, Lancashire, Leicestershire, Sussex, etc...
The counties you have mentioned don't qualify as Countries and wouldn't merit a separate box.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I think it is an absolute disgrace that you mob were allowed to steal part of the Australian flag for your national flag.

Oi! You pinched ours and stuck an extra star on it. We had it first!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
Oi! You pinched ours and stuck an extra star on it. We had it first!
I don't think the Maoris would agree with ya there?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

20-02-2019, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I think it is an absolute disgrace that you mob were allowed to steal part of the Australian flag for your national flag.

got the wrong flag there mate !

weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I thought it was established some threads back that Scotland; Wales ; Northern Ireland and England were considered part of Britain - and so if you are from England and English stock you can claim you are British or English either will stand? But I do agree the official forms have got it wrong English should be an option too! Asking a Scots or Welsh or Irish [N] are you British should receive a YES response surely?
Yep, this is common sense. Didn’t know there was such a problem with official forms giving a Scottish/Welsh/NI option but not an English one. I would find that objectionable if I was English too. I have no problem ticking the British box if that’s the only option for the above reason. What really sticks in my craw is the use of England do describe the UK as a whole.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top