Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 08:44 PM

Re: Have you ever been on strike?

I used to work for the Civil Service, in my yoof, and our conditions were pretty good, so when the union called for a strike for more pay, I didn't agree with it, so I worked.

I did have to cross a picket line, but it was reasonably amiable.

The most grief I got was from a close colleague of mine, who was also a friend, and our union rep, so that was a bit unpleasant, but in the end we agreed to differ and it didn't spoil our future relationship (as colleague and friend) luckily.

People generally took the view that everyone was entitiled to their own opinion.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 08:51 PM

That's the description I was looking for... 'union rep'.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 09:20 PM

When I was 16, I worked in a factory that had a partial glass roof. It got hellish hot in there that summer and the workers decided to stage a walk-out, me included.

After a couple of hours, the management promised to do something about the heat in the factory. We agreed to go back in. Some days later, the glass in the roof was painted with a dark green paint. It still hot in there but it was tolerable.
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 09:37 PM

For the past ten years, just no one has noticed yet
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 09:40 PM

Never was involved in strike action. UJ might have a story to tell.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 09:41 PM

Never was in a union so never had to strike.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 09:43 PM

No!....
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Did you go on strike when you worked, ( still work) and if you did, did you agree with it?, I have never been on strike, although I nearly did when one of the unions where I worked went on strike, but I belonged to a different union, that wasn’t
Involved
Exactly the same Primus
NASUWT were wooses when NUT were making a stand!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I went through most of my working life not agreeing with unions but whilst working for the Indian bank and was going through an awful time, decided to join. This backfired on me when the union decided to strike for some reason. I took one day off but then decided, on the second strike day, to cross the 'picket line' (consisting of one or two of the union managers) and thereafter incurred the wrath of one of them. He wouldn't talk to me for a number of years. I didn't want to lose any more pay.

I still don't agree with unions.
Scab.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 10:38 PM

Yes, but, I was in industry, not poncey professions.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top