Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 02:35 PM

Re: Network Rail earmarks 18 stations for privatisation to tackle debt

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It's just made it a bloody minefield. Once upon a time you could pay your bills (the same price for everyone) and that was it, but now you have to be a financial wizard, or hire one. When you get to our age who wants to spend all their time searching through comparison sites.
Very true also I never understood why they imagined these companies would finance infrastructure when they are in it for profit.
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 09:52 PM

That's the whole point of privatisation - profits for the few paid by the many. The very reason services were nationalised after WWII, to make a fairer society for all.
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 12:28 PM

Petitions here:

http://weownit.org.uk/act-now/stop-b...g-our-stations
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 12:44 PM

When I was young in the Fifties and went to work by train the service was not good missing trains and always running late.

Started using trains again when I got my freedom pass and found a vast improvement in the service.

But there are still minor problems, caught a train home last night on c2c and found my train was delayed by 8 minutes that's the first time for about 8 months its been that long a delay.
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 09:05 PM

I had already signed that one moreover and quite agree.
moreover
North Wales, UK

29-02-2016, 04:01 PM

I used to travel by train every morning in the 1950/60s. 18 miles into Manchester on a 'workman's ticket', availble before 9.00am at 1/11d return. After 9 it was almost double that, unlike after Privatisation, when workers paid more.

The train was always full by the time it got to Stockport, with 3 or 4 people standing in each carriage. I only remember it being late when there had been snow on the line at Buxton or there was heavy smog in Manchester and we sat outside London Road Station for ages.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 04:24 PM

Hi

Where is the money coming from for all this Nationalisation?

We are massively in debt already, we spent all the proceeds of Privatisation on keeping taxes low and Benefits high, it is gone.

Will the Money Markets, who we would have to borrow from lend us the money?

In order to carry out all this we will need either massive tax increases or massive benefit cuts.

To me, none of this is a priority.

The first thing we need to do is to buy out all the PFI on the NHS and schools.

It is costing a fortune, the private sector companies who built them are making enormous profits, money which we could save and then spend on better patient care and education.
moreover
North Wales, UK

29-02-2016, 04:44 PM

Why pay them anything? They were sold off without our permission for a pittance. As for PFI they've already made fortunes out of what they built. Re-Nationalise the lot without compensation! It will also make them think twice before buying any more knocked off national assets from the Tories in future.

We Own Them!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by moreover ->
Why pay them anything? They were sold off without our permission for a pittance. As for PFI they've already made fortunes out of what they built. Re-Nationalise the lot without compensation! It will also make them think twice before buying any more knocked off national assets from the Tories in future.

We Own Them!
We still own them as far as I am aware too, they sold them on licences when the licence runs out just don't renew them.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by moreover ->

We Own Them!
Hi

They were sold by our Government, democratically elected.

Nationalise without compensation?

Well some of the Franchises are operated by companies owned by the French and German Governments.

The rolling stock, engines, carriages etc are owned by three different companies.

All these three companies are Foreign, their major shareholders include the Americans, Chinese, Germans.

One of these Companies is an investment vehicle for the French Government, another for the Canadian Government.

Ordinary workers also have their pensions invested in these companies.

If you want to rack off Sovereign Governments, destroy any chance of accessing the IMF etc and destroy any hope we have of getting trade agreements with the EU, the USA and Canada then nationalising them without compensation is the way to go.

It would be pure madness.

Mind you, that idiot Corbyn and his supporters would do it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top