Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 09:20 AM

Re: Winter Fuel allowance to be axed for wealthier pensioners

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Why not cut out other benefits as well like child allowance- invalid allowance and a whole host freebees they hand out like sweeties if they are wealthy.

I have to say I don't like what is proposed. I worked hard for my house so I can hand something over to my children when I am gone. This T. May person (and it is her alone) that wants to take, after death, care home costs out of property value.
To me that is disgusting when we have paid it for it all our working lives in one form of tax or another.

Now thinking of objecting by withdrawing my vote for the very first time
It's nothing new councils will take and sell your house NOW to pay for nursing home fees all you allowed to have in savings is £23 k
Teresa May will allow £100k
If you vote for labour they intend to lower the inheritance tax threshold ( presently £325 k) to around £225 kso if you manage to hang on to your house and it's worth more than that your children will have to find the wherewill to pay it.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Why not cut out other benefits as well like child allowance- invalid allowance and a whole host freebees they hand out like sweeties if they are wealthy.

I have to say I don't like what is proposed. I worked hard for my house so I can hand something over to my children when I am gone. This T. May person (and it is her alone) that wants to take, after death, care home costs out of property value.
To me that is disgusting when we have paid it for it all our working lives in one form of tax or another.
Hi

The thing is we haven't paid for it, that is the point, we are all living longer and costing more to both Care Services and the NHS.

Benefits have already been seriously cut, there has to be a limit on how much more they can be.

I would have no objection to making the Unemployed actually take a job.

Not many jobs for Sports Scientists in Prees, so instead of a 22 year fit young woman sitting at home. she can go and work at the cheese packers.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 03:21 PM

I think it's a good idea. Only the poorest should receive WFA. I worked with elderly people for many years and many of them didn't need it and used to tell me they gave it to their grandchildren or bought Xmas gifts with it NOT to heat their homes.

Same as this ridiculous idea of giving ALL young children free school Meals! Fair enough the poorest kids should get it but who even thought it was a good idea to give it to well off parents. It's utter Stupidity.

We should also stop sending billions in overseas aid and then we could treat our older people properly.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 04:38 PM

Way I've always understood pensions etc is we all pay for current oaps not into a pot for ourselves. That's what we need to stop thinking is happening. There is no pot for each of us the people still working are paying for anyone getting pension or wfa now.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 04:42 PM

I'm seriously having a problem trying to think of one person I know who actually needs the WFA.
Ok I've thought of one...
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 05:21 PM

I don't know ruthio ... is AgeUK a reliable, trustworthy source?

They reckon there are 1.6 million pensioners living in poverty.
They might need it.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/professional...nd-inequality/
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I do know of very well off people who give their fuel allowance to their kids and I've often thought it should be means tested . I wonder if those who live abroad still get it ? I think it will only be those on guaranteed pension credit who will get it if it goes through .
Not all of us pensioners receive 'pension credits' - mine is just the basics - so I rely on my WFA.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 06:34 PM

Looks like Ruth Davidson thinks the Scots are to be exempt and all will keep theirs. It could get messy.
She's using the argument that it's colder in Scotland .. which it might well be, but I thought the idea was based on wealthier pensioners not where they lived.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Way I've always understood pensions etc is we all pay for current oaps not into a pot for ourselves. That's what we need to stop thinking is happening. There is no pot for each of us the people still working are paying for anyone getting pension or wfa now.
Just as we paid for those who got pensions when we were working.
I certainly wouldn't want to be the politician who tells working people that they have to pay for older people's pensions, but may not get any themselves when they get older.
The money that provides benefits comes from the tax and NI that working people pay. Where will these benefits come from if all those who are able to do some kind of work don't bother?
Sensible people who worked didn't spend all their earnings on living expenses, they learned to manage on less and put money into their own pension.
I contributed lots of money towards educating other peoples children, paying towards people pensions and providing health care for the sick. How? Because I worked hard all my life, had no children and provided for my own pension. If others had done more to provide for themselves, as I did, we wouldn't have to be considering whether the elderley should eat or be warm!
The more poor people this country has to support the less money there will be to support them. It is time that people stopped expecting the country to provide for them, because many of them are able to do things to help themselves, whether they like the rates of pay or not!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 07:03 PM

The problem is Twink we are living so long.
My husbands aunt died at 98 she had been retired for 38 years during which time she had. A lot of ailments and got all sorts of medical care allowances .
She also did pay for a carer to come extra times at her own expense.
But I wonder if she ever paid in what it cost ,on the other hand she had no children and had worked all of her life.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top