Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 01:04 PM

Titanic - Diving to recover Radio!

Courts have ruled that Drones can now be sent down to pick up the Marconi Radio, from the Titanic, and fetch it back so that it can be put in a museum.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05/...n-be-salvaged/

This baffles me!

1) Can you imagine the state of any electrical device, which has been. down there, for over a hundred years. Will there be anything worth looking at?

2) Why can't they, as they do with many other things, just fudge together a copy, or even, find a working model of which there are, probably hundreds still around.

3) This was the Marconi radio used to send out the famous CQD call, but was it heard? (in those days, most ships only listened to radio for 8 hours a day - outside the 8 hours only largish passenger ships would be still "on air" - a fact which led towards the production of the famous Radio AutoAlarm which was around until quite recently)

Note: CQ, in effect, meant "all ships", and the D meant Distress. That was changed to SOS (save our souls) later.

4) Should we let them "Rest in Peace"?

Footnote:

"The Titanic's radio was a state-of-the-art 5.0 kW set with an advanced synchronous, rotary spark discharger. Separate rooms were needed for the transmitter and the receiver because noise from the transmitter was so great that it would otherwise severely interfere with the receiver."
-
Hence the name "Sparky"! I have operated one of these!!!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 01:30 PM

Re: Titanic - Diving to recover Radio!

Can't see why they are calling it a radio when in fact it was a wireless telegraph machine.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 01:45 PM

To get to the radio, divers would need to remove a part of the ship’s deckhand to reach the room known as the Marconi Suite, which houses the device.
I'm surprised that there's anything of him left .....

Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Can't see why they are calling it a radio when in fact it was a wireless telegraph machine.
He He!

Is this a wind up, Judd?

Oh no, they didn't do wind up "radiation" devices in 1912!

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 03:04 PM

Sounds a bit like grave robbing to me - why can't they let the Titanic rest in peace?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Sounds a bit like grave robbing to me - why can't they let the Titanic rest in peace?
I agree, they should leave it alone.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 09:35 PM

When they've recovered it, bring it round and I'll see if I can get it going again Ted.....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 10:22 PM

Thought they were sending down divers to see if there was any water in the swimming pool
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2020, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
thought they were sending down divers to see if there was any water in the swimming pool
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2020, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I agree, they should leave it alone.
Why? All human remains will have dissolved decades ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top