Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 05:40 PM

Re: People are forgetting how to drive

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
You mean this?

https://www.ovulation-calculators.co...rus/gb/thurso/
Many thank yous, none here either, which is amazing.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 09:07 AM

I was among the last batch of people who got my bus pass at the age of 60, before they started moving the goalposts

After a few months I did my sums and worked out that if I gave up my car and just used free bus travel I could afford to retire early
I had been claiming an occupational pension since I was 60, and I could manage on that till my State pension and another private pension came in at 65
So I retired at 61; things would be a bit tight, but it was possible

Mostly I used the bus for those few years, plus hiring a car once or twice

When I got my State pension I was able to afford a car again, but it felt very awkward driving after a break of 4 or 5 years
Still, I got back into it OK
I don't do a huge mileage each year, and still use my bus pass for some journeys, but a car is convenient

Something I have noticed over the past few years is the state of our motorways
They were getting busy a few years ago, but now they are absolutely packed, and terrible - frightening even
This is not helped by doing away with the hard shoulder, which must surely be one of the most stupid, senseless ideas ever to be foisted upon the motoring public
That, and the endless roadworks make driving a most unhappy experience
I notice this when travelling on the M6; it is a nightmare from about the Cheshire/Staffordshire border, right across Spaghetti Junction, and you're not clear of it till you get a way down the M5
So much so that if I want to visit friends & family, or other events in Warwickshire or Gloucester I really weigh up whether it is worth the effort

Now with the Lockdown I only use my car for shopping, but I try to make a slightly longer, more circuitous route to keep the mechanicals turned over a bit, and to keep up my ability (such as it is).
I filled the petrol tank at the start of the Lockdown, and it's still over 3/4 full
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
I was among the last batch of people who got my bus pass at the age of 60, before they started moving the goalposts

After a few months I did my sums and worked out that if I gave up my car and just used free bus travel I could afford to retire early
I had been claiming an occupational pension since I was 60, and I could manage on that till my State pension and another private pension came in at 65
So I retired at 61; things would be a bit tight, but it was possible

Mostly I used the bus for those few years, plus hiring a car once or twice

When I got my State pension I was able to afford a car again, but it felt very awkward driving after a break of 4 or 5 years
Still, I got back into it OK
I don't do a huge mileage each year, and still use my bus pass for some journeys, but a car is convenient

Something I have noticed over the past few years is the state of our motorways
They were getting busy a few years ago, but now they are absolutely packed, and terrible - frightening even
This is not helped by doing away with the hard shoulder, which must surely be one of the most stupid, senseless ideas ever to be foisted upon the motoring public
That, and the endless roadworks make driving a most unhappy experience
I notice this when travelling on the M6; it is a nightmare from about the Cheshire/Staffordshire border, right across Spaghetti Junction, and you're not clear of it till you get a way down the M5
So much so that if I want to visit friends & family, or other events in Warwickshire or Gloucester I really weigh up whether it is worth the effort

Now with the Lockdown I only use my car for shopping, but I try to make a slightly longer, more circuitous route to keep the mechanicals turned over a bit, and to keep up my ability (such as it is).
I filled the petrol tank at the start of the Lockdown, and it's still over 3/4 full
Couldn't agree more Zuludog. Horrible, horrible stretch of motorway. Can I suggest you pick up the A449 out of Stafford and use that to travel south into Worcestershire before diverting to Warks and Gloucs?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Couldn't agree more Zuludog. Horrible, horrible stretch of motorway. Can I suggest you pick up the A449 out of Stafford and use that to travel south into Worcestershire before diverting to Warks and Gloucs?
After having been driving for 55 years, motorcycles and cars, and having 55 years' No Claims Bonus (except insurance companies will only honour nine years) I find the M25 and parts of the M1 are petrifying to drive on. The M25 lanes are so narrow and the M1 is full of lorries that, even in pouring rain, are so close to the back of the car that if I braked in an emergency one would go right over the top of my car. They seem to have no idea of thinking or braking distances, for lorry 'drivers' that really is unforgivable.

Probably many roads are quieter right now with the lockdown even as it is and schools not properly open, as yet. However, that's not going to last forever so make the most of it!

Since being 'allowed out' I can at least have a nice fast drive on the A1(M), which beats sitting here looking at four walls. Then a nice walk in the countryside for an hour. I've been doing that since the lockdown changed, before that I hadn't seen anyone since 12 February until the lockdown was slightly relaxed and I gained some 'freedom'. Four months of not seeing anybody – no wonder I was regularly looking out for the 'men in white coats'!
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 04:48 PM

Thank you Percy

I had been thinking about something like that since my disastrous trip from Warwickshire across Spaghetti Junction and on into Lancashire (you don't need to know the details)

When things are sort of back to normal I'll try that in future
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 08:09 PM

I drove the car a few miles today. The longest distance since the lockdown began and only the second time. It started on the button even so and gave only a couple of stutters when setting off down the road. I can still drive!

I had to make sure of the car and my driving because we'll be using the car for a purpose tomorrow ..and in the rush hour traffic. We could almost do without a car these days. I think this car will be the last one we own. Taxis and other means of transport after it has gone.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top