Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 06:39 PM

Gardening charges...

How much do you think I would be charged to have this hedge cut? It's about 30ft long & I want a metre cut off the top & clippings removed.

I've never had a professional gardener before so have no idea of charges.

Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 06:52 PM

Re: Gardening charges...

I have a conifer hedge that's about 15 metres long, trimmed every couple of years plus two trees in the back garden, that comes to £350-£400. It's a local chap who does that, he lives just up the road.

The one fixed cost straight away, here anyway, is that it costs £50 to dispose of the cuttings at the local refuse tip. That in the case of my hedge and trees is one trailer full.

Probably best to get three quotes if you've never had the work done before, and take the middle one of the three.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 09:17 PM

Can't believe those charges!

I had a man trim the tops of some fairly high shrubs earlier this year - I thought it probably wasn't enough work to get a good deal, so I also asked for him to clean the soffits and fascias on my house. Even that was probably less than half a day's work...............£100 !!
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
How much do you think I would be charged to have this hedge cut? It's about 30ft long & I want a metre cut off the top & clippings removed.

I've never had a professional gardener before so have no idea of charges.

Carol - for someone with the right equipment that should really only be be a couple of hours work. I would downsize your quotes from "professional gardener" to "jobbing gardener".........they're cheaper!!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 09:20 PM

Carol if I lived nearer I would do it for a cup of coffee but you would have to clear up the cuttings
Lindyloo
isle of wight

14-06-2020, 09:48 PM

I know that Age UK have a number of tradespeople who will work for those of pension age at very reasonable prices. You could try giving them a call.
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 10:30 PM

Having used Age UK tradespeople for my Aunt I can thoroughly recommend them as a port of call, they will at least give you a good idea what the price would be and you will know reputable. Essential when disposing of any waste these days
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I know that Age UK have a number of tradespeople who will work for those of pension age at very reasonable prices. You could try giving them a call.

That's a good idea, Lindy. They are usually very helpful too.

Carol, I don't know if you are with British Gas or not, but they are offering the Local Heroes thing as well.
I haven't tried it, but might be worth looking into if you can't find someoe, or to compare prices even.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...ind-tradesmen/
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 08:07 AM

Thanks everybody.

Yesterday evening I posted the job on 'My Builder' and have had 3 replies already.

One has quoted me by just looking at the picture - £120 which included removing clippings.

Another is coming to look at it this morning & give me an estimate & another coming tomorrow.

Also I put an appeal on face-book & found a message from a local man this morning so I am going to arrange for him to come this afternoon.

I'm very pleased with the positive response. Looks like I will have 4 estimates to choose from & in the region of £100 it's what I can afford & definitely worth it if they take away the clippings.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 04:22 PM

Good news Carol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top