Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2020, 11:42 PM

Help needed for my suv

I have the weirdest problem I've ever encountered with a car.

Problem with ignition switch and or lock ????

I can insert the key in the ignition AND I can release the steering wheel lock. However, when I turn the key to start the Toyota 4 runner, nothing happens. No clicking. No grinding. Total silence. Now, here is an even weirder part. Sometimes, not very often, the SUV WILL start.

I know it is NOT the battery because I put in a new one.

It's almost like there is a "sweet spot" in the position of the steering wheel.

I've tried to turn the steering wheel to the max, both left and right.

Please help me. I'm going nuts.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 03:12 AM

Re: Help needed for my suv

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I have the weirdest problem I've ever encountered with a car.

Problem with ignition switch and or lock ????

I can insert the key in the ignition AND I can release the steering wheel lock. However, when I turn the key to start the Toyota 4 runner, nothing happens. No clicking. No grinding. Total silence. Now, here is an even weirder part. Sometimes, not very often, the SUV WILL start.

I know it is NOT the battery because I put in a new one.

It's almost like there is a "sweet spot" in the position of the steering wheel.

I've tried to turn the steering wheel to the max, both left and right.

Please help me. I'm going nuts.
Have you just bought it?..After sales service.?..The manual?..But I guess you've thought of that.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 04:41 AM

If its a manual gear change car depress the clutch fully then try starting if the engine starts release the clutch and carry on as per normal from there..

hope this works for you.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by basser ->
If its a manual gear change car depress the clutch fully then try starting if the engine starts release the clutch and carry on as per normal from there..

hope this works for you.

I have automatic transmission. I tried putting the transmission in neutral but that did not work either.
bakerman
Mexico

25-06-2020, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Have you just bought it?..After sales service.?..The manual?..But I guess you've thought of that.
I just bought it but it is a used SUV.
The dealership wants an arm and a leg to repair it. In desperation I'm trying to think of a way to hotwire it to get the SUV to an auto electrical shop.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I just bought it but it is a used SUV.
The dealership wants an arm and a leg to repair it. In desperation I'm trying to think of a way to hotwire it to get the SUV to an auto electrical shop.
Here in the UK we have mobile repairers who will come out to where you work or live to fix and service cars, they have no workshops just a mobile service. Perhaps one of those could help if you have them? Main dealers are always a rip-off, here I was told VW dealers charge £100 an hour, a local garage does the same service at £50 an hour!

Another way might help is that there are problems like you are having shown on YouTube. I just searched on there for "Toyota 4 will not start when ignition key turned" and there are instances shown that may be of help to you. Good luck.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 07:10 AM

Try slamming the shift into park, in case the micro switch isn't connecting properly.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 10:03 AM

If it starts intermittently it sounds like a loose wire which connects now and then, possibly on the ignition itself but could also be somewhere behind the dash, perhaps connecting to the rev counter. As suggested, I think you need a mobile electrical diagnostic.

Having said that, if you have just bought it it should be covered by a guarantee. It,s not difficult to hot wire it but it might then invalidate your warranty. I'm wondering if you have breakdown cover with home start. They might deliver it back to the dealer for you.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 10:25 AM

I had a Toyota 4 runner some years ago. It is basically a truck with a back and rear electric tailgate widow. The problem I had with it was it was too light on the backand spun out on the wet roads.

Sounds to me more like a faulty ignition barrel ,I would check to see if there is any loose wiring connected to it
sparky
cheshire
sparky is male  sparky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 10:35 AM

EIther ignition barrel fault, or the start inhibit switch on the transmisson, both are fairly easy, IF you know what you are doing, re the inhibit switch, this will be underneath on the transmission, there are usually two switches, one for the reverse lights and the other being the inhibit switch, do you feel confident enough to have a go at this?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top