Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 12:05 PM

Google Chrome wouldn't connect

For some reason, this morning Chrome wouldn't connect to most of my tabs, including this one.

My first response was to use Firefox, which is working perfectly. Very fortunate that I have both set up.

I searched for a solution and found I was certainly not alone. I did finally manage to sort the problem, though I am embarrassed to say I can't remember what I did!

Anyway, I was wondering whether anyone else had had problems with Chrome recently.

More importantly, I have learnt the importance of having an alternative browser set up with all the necessary personal settings and sites.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 12:12 PM

Re: Google Chrome wouldn't connect

Hi JB no problems with Chrome but I turned on the laptop last week to find during the night cheeky Microsoft had updated my computer and installed Edge as my default browser . I was so cross needing to access my Waitrose order before delivery.

My updaters are on metered but it managed to sneak in
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi JB no problems with Chrome but I turned on the laptop last week to find during the night cheeky Microsoft had updated my computer and installed Edge as my default browser . I was so cross needing to access my Waitrose order before delivery.

My updaters are on metered but it managed to sneak in
Yes. One more reason to avoid Windows Updates.
What annoys me most is that they are so dictatorial.
I'd be happier if they offered updates and left the decisions 'if' and 'when' to us.

I simply set it not to update during working hours (set from 0800 to 0200!) as I am on a metered connection - which I'm not!
I just take care never to turn on my computer between 0200 and 0800.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 12:39 PM

These updates try to sneak onto my PC on Tuesday nights so rather than put the computer in sleep mode. I shut it down completely.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
For some reason, this morning Chrome wouldn't connect to most of my tabs, including this one.

Anyway, I was wondering whether anyone else had had problems with Chrome recently.
No problem with tabs on Chrome on my PCs .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 01:02 PM

No problems this morning JBR
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-07-2020, 01:17 PM

Yes. It must have been some setting on my Chrome installation, though I don't know what exactly.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 02:21 PM

All good here.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-07-2020, 03:04 PM

I found it.
Settings / Advanced / Reset and Clean Up
but I can't remember whether:
- Restore Settings to Original Defaults, or
- Clean Up Computer.

In any event, all went back to normal except all my tabs had disappeared.
Fortunately, they were still found in:
Settings / On Startup / Open a Specific Set of Pages

I'll have to try to remember for the next time...

but I'll probably have forgotten by then!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 04:42 PM

'Reset' is one of the good things that popular browsers have included in recent years. Often a good cure-all.

I'm trying Edge as the default browser. I actually don't mind the Bing home page. It highlights a lot of UK news.

I set up Startpage as the default search engine and was at pleased to see that it didn't immediately revert back to Bing. Fine for a good few days. However, I just opened Edge and the default search engine had gone back to Bing and the Startpage search engine extension had been disabled.

I've put that right and will give it another chance. As said, Edge works OK but if MS want people to adopt it, they really need to stop doing that sort of thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top