Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 01:27 PM

Angry about hedges!

My neighbours on 3 sides have let their hedges get out of control.
One side, the guy asked if he could come in and cut the hedge, he cut the bit at the front and left it growing wild with privet, brambles, shrubs and bindweed at the back.

Behind me they've got jasmine, ivy, brambles , elder growing over and through the top of my fence. It was just a 6' wire fence but I put weed fabric and bamboo roll over it to try to stop their plants. There's also a huge "blob" if ivy hanging over my side that pigeons are nesting in which is threatening to bring the fence down.

The other side have bamboo, over 10' tall which grows up through my side of the fence, some is growing from under the bungalow. When I spoke to them about it the woman, puffed on her vape thing and said, "Oh yeah, sorry about that (chuckle) you should dig it up and sell it, costs a lot in garden centres". It sheds flaky stuff all over my garden when it gets higher.

Since lockdown, my daughter and my wasband haven't been able to help cut things back so it's all spreading into my garden!

I asked my HA landlord if any help is available.
If I pay I may get some kind of help, they can't do anything about hedge at the back as it's private property, the garden is my responsibility, even though hedges are not planted on my side of the fence.
However they are sending a surveyor to look at the bamboo growing from under my bungalow (surprise ).

I already have to pay £50+ for a garden bin which is 80% filled with neighbours' weeds.

Fed up now, I am!

No wonder the last tenant left a watering can marked, "weed killer"!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 02:12 PM

Re: Angry about hedges!

Oh Tess, I sooooo understand where you're coming from.

Remember a few years back when I had that subsidence problem here?
Well that was all other people's vegetation - not mine.

My Insurers asked them to remove the offending trees, which they did after months of arguments - and they were also asked to keep their hedges trimmed down in future. They don't! It makes me so angry. They are selfish gits.

Your bamboo is a difficult problem. I understand that stuff is very invasive, so that definitely needs seeing to somehow, but perhaps talk to the neighbour first, just incase they are unaware it is growing through to your side.

Good luck gal, and let us know how you get on if you can, please.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Your bamboo is a difficult problem. I understand that stuff is very invasive, so that definitely needs seeing to somehow, but perhaps talk to the neighbour first, just incase they are unaware it is growing through to your side.

Good luck gal, and let us know how you get on if you can, please.
I did Mups, she said to dig it up and sell it!

I'll post photos later.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 02:52 PM

Kerosene
Did a hole on your side put in a bit of tube or pipe .
Cover top of pipe with a flower pot or something innocent looking
Keep pouring in the kerosene until the blasted bamboos die .
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Kerosene
Did a hole on your side put in a bit of tube pr pipe .
jj41
New Member!
Bristol UK
jj41 is male 

06-07-2020, 03:36 PM

My daughter had a similar problem with a couple of Leylandii growing right on her boundary and a miserable git of a neighbour. He refused to do anything and indeed threatened her if she touched them. I dug down her side, found the roots and drove copper nails in. Problem died within a year! The neighbour accused her of damaging his trees, which she in all honesty denied, because it was me!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

06-07-2020, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Kerosene
Did a hole on your side put in a bit of tube or pipe .
Knowing my luck, she'd give up vaping and chuck a fag end on it.

Oooo there's a thought!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

06-07-2020, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by jj41 ->
My daughter had a similar problem with a couple of Leylandii growing right on her boundary and a miserable git of a neighbour. He refused to do anything and indeed threatened her if she touched them. I dug down her side, found the roots and drove copper nails in. Problem died within a year! The neighbour accused her of damaging his trees, which she in all honesty denied, because it was me!
Naughty! But clever!

I wouldn't mind trees though.

What annoyed me was that the woman from the HA said it was my responsibility to keep my garden tidy! Therefore it should be theirs too as both sides are tenants too!

Do copper nails work on ivy or bamboo?
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->

.. .. no wonder the last tenant left a watering can marked, "weed killer"!
The answer is right there in front of you .. find the modern equivalent of Agent Orange (glyphosate) and spray the greenery your side. A few days later and all should start withering - QED!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

06-07-2020, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
The answer is right there in front of you .. find the modern equivalent of Agent Orange (glyphosate) and spray the greenery your side. A few days later and all should start withering - QED!
Done that, it only killed the bindweed. I sprayed all of it, even cut the bamboo and squirted some inside the stems. It just shrugged it off. A bit of ivy died but soon got replaced.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top