Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 12:59 AM

Re: Project SUV

The nut on the "locking bolt" , on the alternator has seized up and I'm having one devil of a time trying to get it off. Ordered special tools from Amazon . In the meantime I spray it with penetrating oil twice every day. It's turning into a grudge match between me and that darn 12mm nut. If the special tools don't work, I'll have to apply a propane torch to heat that **** nut, red hot. Then use a breaker bar with a 6 point 12mm socket to break it free .
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
The nut on the "locking bolt" , on the alternator has seized up and I'm having one devil of a time trying to get it off. Ordered special tools from Amazon . In the meantime I spray it with penetrating oil twice every day. It's turning into a grudge match between me and that darn 12mm nut. If the special tools don't work, I'll have to apply a propane torch to heat that **** nut, red hot. Then use a breaker bar with a 6 point 12mm socket to break it free .
Ah, now this is why I keep a nut splitter in my tool kit.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 04:42 PM

LongDriver, Thank you very much. That may be exactly what I'll end up needing.
bakerman
Mexico

27-07-2020, 10:18 AM

LongDriver, Thank you very much. That may be exactly what I'll end up needing.

Problem solved: I soaked that nut with WD-40, twice per day for a week and it came right off.

Heavens, modern SUV's are overloaded with electronic this and electronic that.
Currently struggling with replacing the alternator AND the oil pressure sending unit. So, much stuff in the way. Had to remove a ton of stuff to get at the alternator. Not at all like a good old reliable 50's and 60's cars. Lift the hood on one of those old cars and there was enough room to crawl in and close the hood.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 03:25 PM

Problem solved: I soaked that nut with WD-40, twice per day for a week and it came right off.

Heavens, modern SUV's are overloaded with electronic this and electronic that.
Currently struggling with replacing the alternator AND the oil pressure sending unit. So, much stuff in the way. Had to remove a ton of stuff to get at the alternator. Not at all like a good old reliable 50's and 60's cars. Lift the hood on one of those old cars and there was enough room to crawl in and close the hood.
If you are able to strip the alternator the most common fault is a worn slip-ring contact. A new alternator is a very expensive item.
bakerman
Mexico

28-07-2020, 11:42 PM

I have ordered a new alternator. Except for changing brushes, I don't feel competent to mess around with the interior of the old one. When it arrives and I install it, I'll check to make sure it is charging the new battery.

Then I can attack the low oil pressure problem (at idle only). As soon as I step on the gas to rev it up, the idiot light goes out. Could be a number of things: weak oil pressure sending unit, sludge partially clogging the oil pick up screen etc.

After I solve the problem with the battery not being re-charged, I plan on flushing the entire oiling system and then replacing the oil pressure sensor, and then refilling it with 5W-30 weight oil and a new oil filter.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)

29-07-2020, 04:09 PM

I have ordered a new alternator. Except for changing brushes, I don't feel competent to mess around with the interior of the old one. When it arrives and I install it, I'll check to make sure it is charging the new battery.

Then I can attack the low oil pressure problem (at idle only). As soon as I step on the gas to rev it up, the idiot light goes out. Could be a number of things: weak oil pressure sending unit, sludge partially clogging the oil pick up screen etc.

After I solve the problem with the battery not being re-charged, I plan on flushing the entire oiling system and then replacing the oil pressure sensor, and then refilling it with 5W-30 weight oil and a new oil filter.
As well as all of the above, at that readable mileage, I would also consider worn main bearings/crankshaft. I said readable because there is a possibility the vehicle has been clocked back a few 10's of thousand miles. Here in the UK 'clocking' is big business and since the dawn of the electronic milometers, clocking is easy with the right software and a friendly laptop; although highly illegal, it is still BIG business
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)

29-07-2020, 04:17 PM

I forgot to mention flushing oil. Be wary of the cheaper flushing oils, or you could end up with the flush also attacking the oil seals. I am not familiar with what's available over there, but I suggest you check out some American car forums and ask some the members which is best for the older engine with probably 24 year old oil seals.
bakerman
Mexico

30-07-2020, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
As well as all of the above, at that readable mileage, I would also consider worn main bearings/crankshaft. I said readable because there is a possibility the vehicle has been clocked back a few 10's of thousand miles. Here in the UK 'clocking' is big business and since the dawn of the electronic milometers, clocking is easy with the right software and a friendly laptop; although highly illegal, it is still BIG business
Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
I forgot to mention flushing oil. Be wary of the cheaper flushing oils, or you could end up with the flush also attacking the oil seals. I am not familiar with what's available over there, but I suggest you check out some American car forums and ask some the members which is best for the older engine with probably 24 year old oil seals.
Yes, it certainly is a possibility that the SUV has been clocked. Not much I can do about that now though.

For the flush, I plan on draining all of the current oil and then adding 1 gallon of diesel fuel and I liter of oil, then running the SUV for 5 minutes and immediately draining it all. A friend of mine, who is a professional small engine mechanic, speaks highly of this method. I asked him about what might happen to the oil seals and he told me that with only a 5 minute running time, the oil seals would be fine.
bakerman
Mexico

14-08-2020, 08:52 PM

I may have bitten off more than I can chew. New alternator installed and now I have a problem with "hot idle". Vehicle starts right up, BUT as soon as it warms up it shudders and stalls. The only way to keep it running is to keep the RPM's above 1,200. Will have to remove and clean the throttle body and the intake air control valve. .
If I get the above solved, I'll need to track down the "dead short" in the wiring system of the taillights which instant blow a fuse when I turn on the lights. Not sure yet but the lights on the instrument panel may be on the same circuit , which have never come on.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top