Join for free
David P
South Oxfordshire
David P is male  David P has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2020, 11:50 PM

Emissions tweak to get through MOT

My previous car (2005 Honda Civic) was always borderline emissions failure on it's MOT. Garage tweaks the running speed to get it through but the car has a habit of stalling whilst stopped for a long period in idle. I take it back to the garage who tweaks the idle speed back to the pre MOT position. All perfectly legal.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2020, 05:41 AM

Re: Emissions tweak to get through MOT

I don't think they even check emissions here for the rego test, just brakes lights and body
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2020, 10:25 AM

Wish my garage had done that, before I resorted to scrapping my perfectly usable Micra a few months ago! I know I have to stop dwelling on it, it's gone, but I didn't want to see it go.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2020, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by David P ->
My previous car (2005 Honda Civic) was always borderline emissions failure on it's MOT. Garage tweaks the running speed to get it through but the car has a habit of stalling whilst stopped for a long period in idle. I take it back to the garage who tweaks the idle speed back to the pre MOT position. All perfectly legal.
It was exactly the same for the old A series BMC engines .. a swift carb adjustment just before the MOT and a return to previous settings after the event AND it was common knowledge these tweaks were essential to get the certificate
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2020, 04:42 PM

The same with my 1984 Scimitar GTE, that has a 2.8 Ford V6 engine and to pass the MoT the mixture had to be so weak that it wouldn't run properly, acceleration was useless too. On passing the MoT the mixture was tweaked and it was then alright.

That happened from the first MoT test, I have owned the car from new. The garage had to do this to all these cars they had in for service and MoT. This was so well known about you would think someone would realise the requirements are impossible to meet.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top