Join for free
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 09:54 AM

Re: Paying for Social Care.

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Nice one, Boris, let's kick the pensioners again. It could well become a an Olympic sport!!

We don't all have access to grossly inflated salaries, multiple homes and unlimited expenses.

Most of us are on fixed incomes and trying hard to make ends meet while the cost of living continues to rise - rapidly - and the few perks we do have are already being removed.

TV licenses for the over 75s are being withdrawn - even from those who have had them for years. Doesn't effect me as I don't have TV but for a lot of housebound people that must be a bitter blow.

Bus Passes - under threat again - as a none car owner I rely on my pass for trips to town and the occasional day out - as do a lot of others - and the cost of public transport is extortionate.

Council Tax - continues to rise while the services it pays for continue to diminish.

Price of food - continues to rise - not only the food itself but now the added cost of having it delivered due to 'lock down'. Can we blame Boris for that? Why not, he probably hoped C19 would kill off the older generation who, incidentally, have worked and earned their place in society

You want to generate some income, Boris?

Stop paying grossly inflated salaries/expenses to MPs who often cannot even be bothered to turn up to sessions in Westminster. Cap their income. Stop their expenses. Suggest they live within their means - and listen to them squeal. Few of them are there to represent 'the people' - they are there to line their own pockets - whatever political persuasion they may claim to be.

Stop Financing their second/third homes.

Stop Paying out billions in 'aid' to countries who waste it on useless projects like space travel or to buy/make weapons which can then be used against us!

Stop all immigration for at least five years. Then - make it for one generation only i.e., Man, wife, their children - not their parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, ad infinitum! Those who do come should have a job/sponsor to come to, should be able to speak the language, and should be willing to abide by our laws.

Stop all benefits to the bone idle dolites and scroungers - make them earn their keep. Benefits should be kept to support those in genuine need/hardship - assessed at regular intervals - and withdrawn if/when the need/hardship has been overcome.

Stop child allowance or, at least, restrict it to the first child only. There are enough methods of contraception available - most of them free - to satisfy even this sexually incontinent generation. Including the word 'No'!

None of the above is ever likely to happen though as we are 'governed' by wimps and morons who are too scared of their own shadows or, more likely, losing their own luxury life styles, to ever stand up and be counted.
Wot she said.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 10:08 AM

Yes I agree with Silver Tabby.
It is only common sense.
Also stop multi millinaires and billionaires taking huge tax free divedends from maunufacturing Companies who register their Companires abroad, especially to legally avoid paying income tax on profits.
This rule came out years ago when UK badly needed foreign investors.
It should no longer apply now, and at least they should pay some income tax as business people are required of to in UK.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 10:11 AM

It says quote" Officials are looking into the exact mechanism by which over-40s would pay" Unquote.

that means we as pensioners would have to pay as well, no mention about if there is an age limit
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 10:13 AM

Maybe we should invent something called "National Insurance" so that there is a, sort of, package aimed at funding anything untoward which might happen to us.

Maybe, also, we could do a deep review of how income tax is managed. Cut out any ways of avoiding paying, such as overseas accounts, etc. avoid tricks and games played by self employed.

My thinking is "enough is enough".

i.e. we already pay plenty - manage it properly!

Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Maybe we should invent something called "National Insurance" so that there is a, sort of, package aimed at funding anything untoward which might happen to us.

Maybe, also, we could do a deep review of how income tax is managed. Cut out any ways of avoiding paying, such as overseas accounts, etc. avoid tricks and games played by self employed.

My thinking is "enough is enough".

i.e. we already pay plenty - manage it properly!

I was about to post this when I saw your post Tedc so I can
only agree with your comment, in bold!

When I was working it was difficult not to notice the 30% in total taxation that was taken at source from my wages. In addition to that there were numerous other ways tax just disappeared from my income after I received it and spent out on the usual necessities of life. Being taxed the once was bad enough but then being taxed again on what had already been taxed once can hardly be considered right.

Don't we already pay enough tax in this country? It's the government's inability and failure to use these taxes correctly that causes the problems I believe.

Taxes listed below are applied to all of us, even on death we are ripped-off, or more accurately our next-of-kin are:

Income Tax
Capital Gains Tax
National Insurance
VAT
Corporation Tax
Bank payroll Tax
Petroleum Revenue Tax
Fuel Duties
Inheritance Tax
Stamp Duty
Tobacco Duties
Spirits Duties
Beer Duties
Wines Duties
Cider Duties
Betting & Gaming Duties
Air Passenger Duty
Insurance Premium Tax
Landfill Tax
Climate Change Levy
Aggregates Tax

Edited to add the most iniquitous tax of all on single people, IMO:
Council Tax
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I was about to post this when I saw your post Tedc so I can
only agree with your comment, in bold!

When I was working it was difficult not to notice the 30% in total taxation that was taken at source from my wages. In addition to that there were numerous other ways tax just disappeared from my income after I received it and spent out on the usual necessities of life. Being taxed the once was bad enough but then being taxed again on what had already been taxed once can hardly be considered right.

Don't we already pay enough tax in this country? It's the government's inability and failure to use these taxes correctly that causes the problems I believe.

Taxes listed below are applied to all of us, even on death we are ripped-off, or more accurately our next-of-kin are:

Income Tax
Capital Gains Tax
National Insurance
VAT
Corporation Tax
Bank payroll Tax
Petroleum Revenue Tax
Fuel Duties
Inheritance Tax
Stamp Duty
Tobacco Duties
Spirits Duties
Beer Duties
Wines Duties
Cider Duties
Betting & Gaming Duties
Air Passenger Duty
Insurance Premium Tax
Landfill Tax
Climate Change Levy
Aggregates Tax

Edited to add the one iniquitous tax of all on single people IMO:
Council Tax
Yes,

And it might be worth noting (from the DT, today) research shows that the cuts in VAT are not being passed on by a great number of our caring Companies.

I think it should be down to 5%.

Just shows who really cares about the man in the street!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 11:31 AM

The government should hit the tax-avoiders/evaders to pay for social care:

https://www.patrickcannon.net/insigh...A370%20billion.

Cost of Tax Evasion in the UK

HMRC reported in June 2018 the total tax gap at £33 billion for 2016/17, representing 5.7% of total tax liabilities.

Throughout the tax year running from 2016 to 2017, the total cost of tax avoidance came to approximately £1.7 billion, while tax evasion was around £5.3 billion within the same time frame.

Overall, it’s estimated that the UK’s loss of revenue due to tax evasion comes to around £70,000,000,000.
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Yes I agree with Silver Tabby.
It is only common sense.
Also stop multi millinaires and billionaires taking huge tax free divedends from maunufacturing Companies who register their Companires abroad, especially to legally avoid paying income tax on profits.
This rule came out years ago when UK badly needed foreign investors.
It should no longer apply now, and at least they should pay some income tax as business people are required of to in UK.

Hallelujah!

See:
Nicholas Shaxson, Treasure Islands (2011)
Oliver Bullough, Moneyland (2018)

Both books demonstrate who is really screwing the UK taxpayer.

And guess which political party they all donate to!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 12:29 PM

The whole of the UK welfare state funding is based on those who pay taxes paying for what it delivers and those of us who have passed the state retirement age being supported by those who have not. I am perfectly content that should continue. Those of us who don't own our homes or having any savings should be supported by the workers. It is what we did when we worked to pay for the destitute, the kids should do the same now. It is their duty.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by OldFogey ->

Hallelujah!

See:
Nicholas Shaxson, Treasure Islands (2011)
Oliver Bullough, Moneyland (2018)

Both books demonstrate who is really screwing the UK taxpayer.

And guess which political party they all donate to!
More than a quarter of UK income tax is paid by one hundredth of UK income tax payers.

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top