Join for free
Page 4 of 17 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 11:25 AM

Re: Dirty Toilet

Best that just one person enters and deals with it, any retching may cause a "Chain" reaction.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 11:27 AM

First thing .
Buy some toilet limescale remover .
Costs £1 a bottle from Tesco
Leave overnight in this case ( lid up)
Dirt and stuff sticks to limescale
And bleach will not remove it.
Then attack with brush and cleaning stuff
Vinegar and baking soda is the eco friendly option.
This will improve it .
If it doesn’t buy new toilet pan .
These are not expensive .
It’s thE plumber to fit it that will cost you if you can find one .
Unless you can do it yourself .
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 11:27 AM

If he's not going back there, perhaps you should just salvage what he needs to take and shut the door. The landlord will deal with it and charge for clearing and cleaning.
It's not really down to you or your daughter if it's not your doing.
Sounds harsh but, you shouldn't do what is not your responsibility.
That sounds bossy, sorry!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Pesta, I know what it looks like, I think we are all thinking along the same lines, but I am not absolutely positive.

May I ask if you or your daughter are likely to visit this man in hospital?
If so, would it be too insensitive to ask him if he has been putting anything down the loo (other than the usual)?

It looks a bit like Creosote or fence paint, and I am a bit worried about pouring bleach on top of an existing chemical as it can create nasty fumes.

Another thought is, bleach alone does kill germs as we all know, but it also 'bleaches' surfaces white, which could mean it would only bleach the stain white but not remove it if it is scaled up.

I think I would want to be sure what it is before I touched it to be honest, and maybe as others have suggested, get a cleaning firm in as they would likely know what's best.

Hiya Mups, yes that's a good idea about asking if he's put anything down the loo that he shouldn't have.

Will get my daughter to text him, although he can be very uncommunicative when it suits.

When Googling what this could be, I came across about bleach whitening limescale rather than removing it. It said vinegar/baking soda would be good for that. Up here we've got soft water, so don't get bothered by limescale. So all you folks with hard water, now you know if you didn't already know.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Apologies in advance for posting something so gross, but I'm having the unenviable task of cleaning this disgusting thing but have no idea what the black is. I've not actually seen it, only this picture - so don't quite know what to go armed with product wise. Vinegar/baking soda? Bleach? Coca Cola

I'm aware of black accumulating in toilets at the water line when they're not cleaned regularly, but not all the way up the bowl itself.

Can anyone help - is it mould or something?
Possible caused by iron deposits in the water? Just arm yourself with some thick de-scaling product that will cling to the bowl and leave it to do its work for a couple of hours before scrubbing it clean with a loo brush. Repeat as necessary then finally, pour some bleach into the bowl to sterilise it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Hiya Mups, yes that's a good idea about asking if he's put anything down the loo that he shouldn't have.

Will get my daughter to text him, although he can be very uncommunicative when it suits.

When Googling what this could be, I came across about bleach whitening limescale rather than removing it. It said vinegar/baking soda would be good for that. Up here we've got soft water, so don't get bothered by limescale. So all you folks with hard water, now you know if you didn't already know.

I think that the best plan too, Pesta.
She if the old chap will be any help first, but if he won't, or can't, then I would probably follow Muddy's advice.

Protect yourself, and best of luck.
Let us know how you get on when you can.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Possible caused by iron deposits in the water? Just arm yourself with some thick de-scaling product that will cling to the bowl and leave it to do its work for a couple of hours before scrubbing it clean with a loo brush. Repeat as necessary then finally, pour some bleach into the bowl to sterilise it.

Not so sure about that Judd, as there seem to be splashes on the toilet seat as well.

The height of the stain around the bowl seems to indicate there was a blockage at some point too, do you think?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 11:45 AM

Mups is Right Pesta, don't get Bogged Down with someone else's problem.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
If he's not going back there, perhaps you should just salvage what he needs to take and shut the door. The landlord will deal with it and charge for clearing and cleaning.
It's not really down to you or your daughter if it's not your doing.
Sounds harsh but, you shouldn't do what is not your responsibility.
That sounds bossy, sorry!
Give over you ain't being bossy

Yes I know what you mean and agree with what you say. He's already been in hospital 10 days. After having a couple of toes removed any time soon, he'll be shipped off to another hospital, whenever they get round to it.

After that it at some point, it will be the usual 'see where he lives and see if he can cope at home' stage.
The bedsit will be unsuitable, being on the first floor anyway. But he might want to stay there being the **** he is.

Both my daughter and I feel the need to sort the place out and clean the mess before anyone goes in there. He has agreed to us doing it. He's still paying the rent and if we don't do something it will only get worse.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

01-08-2020, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Not so sure about that Judd, as there seem to be splashes on the toilet seat as well.

The height of the stain around the bowl seems to indicate there was a blockage at some point too, do you think?

That's blood Mups. It's on the flooring, settee, bedding. My daughter said it's been there a long time by the colour of it.

Page 4 of 17 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top