Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 09:57 PM

Re: Negativity Or Positivity?

I absolutely a glass half full person. I am usually positive and optimistic. I try to see the good in people. If people like me as i am well that's great. If they don't well they don't have to have anything to do with me. I won't be offended. I think tact and tolerance are just as valuable as "brutal honesty" There is nothing wrong with being brutally honest - if your brutal honesty has been clearly requested. But often I find people who say this about themselves are just using it as an excuse for their rudeness or bullying.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I absolutely a glass half full person. I am usually positive and optimistic. I try to see the good in people. If people like me as i am well that's great. If they don't well they don't have to have anything to do with me. I won't be offended. I think tact and tolerance are just as valuable as "brutal honesty" There is nothing wrong with being brutally honest - if your brutal honesty has been clearly requested. But often I find people who say this about themselves are just using it as an excuse for their rudeness or bullying.

Do you mean,idiot,moron,deformed etc,is that being brutally honest?

I have no idea why people use those words, can you explain?

Those words sound insulting,
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 10:39 PM

[QUOTE=pauline3;2002672]Do you mean,idiot,moron,deformed etc,is that being brutally honest?

People use words like idiot and moron for all kinds of reasons. In defence of an attack on their dignity, to put somebody else down to make themselves feel powerful or in an effort to make themselves look superior etc. Or it could mean that they actually think somebody is very stupid or unintelligent. But in reality they are very specific clinical terms. Like "schizo" or "mental" they are abused psychological terms that have crept into everyday uuage. Idiot and moron were terms that described people who had an IQ several standard deviations below normal. Say 50-70. These terms aren't used clinically these days for the very reason that they have just been abused too much. But to answer your question, if people can't attack others physically they usually resort to attacking either their appearance, intellect, mental health, sexuality or reputation. Anything that has the ability to cause distress or pain. So it isn't being honest on many occasions. It is just being a complete bastard (or the other one) and a bully if it is unprovoked. That's my answer to your question. Others may have a totally different opinion. see what you get.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 11:21 PM

[QUOTE=keezoy;2002677]
Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Do you mean,idiot,moron,deformed etc,is that being brutally honest?

People use words like idiot and moron for all kinds of reasons. In defence of an attack on their dignity, to put somebody else down to make themselves feel powerful or in an effort to make themselves look superior etc. Or it could mean that they actually think somebody is very stupid or unintelligent. But in reality they are very specific clinical terms. Like "schizo" or "mental" they are abused psychological terms that have crept into everyday uuage. Idiot and moron were terms that described people who had an IQ several standard deviations below normal. Say 50-70. These terms aren't used clinically these days for the very reason that they have just been abused too much. But to answer your question, if people can't attack others physically they usually resort to attacking either their appearance, intellect, mental health, sexuality or reputation. Anything that has the ability to cause distress or pain. So it isn't being honest on many occasions. It is just being a complete bastard (or the other one) and a bully if it is unprovoked. That's my answer to your question. Others may have a totally different opinion. see what you get.

Amen!!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 11:28 PM

delete
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 11:39 PM

Deliberation, of any kind is not in the remittance of many folks, so, generalised classification is difficult to apply.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

10-12-2020, 11:49 PM

I think human beings are extremely complex.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 11:57 PM

Some are some ain't, not sure which camp its best to be in.
keezoy
Australia

11-12-2020, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Some are some ain't, not sure which camp its best to be in.

The one you feel most comfortable in?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

11-12-2020, 12:16 AM

Neither, if you have to think about it.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top