Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 07:35 PM

Over 55s Park Home living

Last week I went with my son to see a beautiful brand new park home , the view was fantastic , overlooking the sea to the left and the beautiful hills and vales to the right . A veranda with triple opening doors, it really seemed perfect .

The concerns I have are the ground rents and maintenance payments they were £55 per week and although brand new the 2 bed home needs regular painting and sealing against weather every 2 to 3 years . Also the site owner is to be given 10% should the home be sold at anytime .

Even if I sold my house and had K25 in the bank from the sale it wouldnt last long that's for sure and I could run out of money so sadly it's not viable .

Thinking about this I was wondering if any of you have experienced park home living.

If so would you recommend it.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 07:40 PM

Re: Over 55s Park Home living

Haven't experienced it, Susan, but I would certainly give it a go. I love the idea of canal boats to live in, and those tiny houses that are popular in America. So yes, if the opportunity arose, I would try it out.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 08:03 PM

My sister and her husband moved to a park near Cleveleys near Blackpool. The properties are large static caravans fitted together side by side to make one large unit. Very comfy it is, too. They pay an annual ground rent for the plot and amenities such as water and sewerage and the usual electricity fees. Gas is from large propane bottles which need to be replaced from time to time.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 08:04 PM

I moved with my parents into a park home towards the end of the 1980s. It was ok, but the home adjoined stables, so we had horrendously big spiders. And it was in the middle of the forest.

They too were bound by rules and regs, ground rent, and paying the owner a %age when selling. I had thought of looking into ownership of one myself but all that put me off. I do know there are some beautiful sites, and lovely homes, that don’t attract the spiders! (Mum lived at the seaside with our dog in their caravan, till the end of the year when he came to the end of his life - pts because of health issues he had - and dad would join her. I had to cope with the spiders alone. Hated it!!)

I would love a holiday caravan but even with the best will in the world I couldn’t afford the rent and other charges. And park homes also used to be affordable. Not so nowadays. Used to love visiting show homes at the Ideal Home Exhibition and dreaming.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 08:33 PM

My ex husband moved to a park home near Dumfries when he became ill.
They were built like log cabins and he loved it there.
He had the most beautiful views of surrounding countryside and wasn't far from the sea.

He showed me the leaflets before he went, and sent me pictures while he lived there, and if it wasn't for his bad health, I think he would have been content to stay there forever.

Sadly, his conditioned deteriorated soon after moving, and he was unable to get about and see the things he wanted to anymore.
It did show me how very nice they can be in the right area though.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Haven't experienced it, Susan, but I would certainly give it a go. I love the idea of canal boats to live in, and those tiny houses that are popular in America. So yes, if the opportunity arose, I would try it out.
I've been watching a TV series about living on a narrow boat (I've always fancied the idea myself). It's not all that cheap - if you are permanently moored at a marina, the annual fees are around £3000, plus electricity and facilities. On top of that, you need a licence from the Canal and Rivers Trust, and insurance. If you choose to move around, you can moor up anywhere for two nights only, for free, but you have to keep moving. You will also have diesel, gas, fuel, and maintenance costs to consider.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 08:40 PM

I know of three who did...One a couple who lost there home through debt.
Place was at Hastings and the couple moved into Combe Haven Holiday Park.
One area was for residents only, down my the dyke we called it, but not sure exactly what is was...

He lasted about 2 years, Husband built a small shed for him which helped store stuff as there was no where to keep much at all. But overall it was a nightmare.. The place kept flooding a year when we all had rain rain rain...
whenever that was...They sold up with a huge loss as life was grime, almost entirely because of the weather.
Lucky for them he was welcomed with open arms to his mother's bungalow....

Caravans, come Winter suffer greatly with condensation...I know that even from experience of a Touring Caravan...small in comparison, but made of the same Materials..Metal...

They have custom built, small almost like Bungalows on sites for living in..they are very good and spent time in one with a friend, but still expensive with the fees and rules..always rules....

Guess some have entertainment, swimming pool, cafe and a community feel.
So if you can afford the fees and know the downsides,,,and still find them attractive to a different type of lifestyle that could suit you..go for it....
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 10:15 PM

Interesting reading thankyou . The place was amazing a perfect setting but the costs too high for me unfortunately .

Oooh reading about the spiders made me shudder Jazzi

I didnt get to read about the rules but yes I think there were quite a few I think the £55 per week was because of the incredible views and the spaces between the homes I guess you get what you pay for
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 10:27 PM

Aren't there some issues with park home sites. I'm sure I've heard of sites which insist a park home be replaced, at the owner's cost. Also when a park home is sold I'm not sure new owners are obliged to continue with the terms and conditions of the previous owner. There's been at least one instance here of park home owners being told to remove their homes from a newly purchase site - despite being assured by the previous site owners that they'd be able to stay for an agreed term.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 10:28 PM

We seriously considered it when moving to Devon but as mentioned by others, we were not happy about all the rules and regs; can't do DIY on a Sunday, or hang washing out (not that we do) plus the property devalues like a car does. We viewed quite a few of them and some were really nice, big double ones with huge kitchens and views over golf courses and rivers but there was always that niggle that if the owners ever sold, they could sell to gypsies.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top