Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 06:17 PM

Re: ever thought about or run your own business?

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Well you made a real success of it Realspeed, and that is testament to your dedication. I think running a business does need a certain amount of determination, patience, and late nights!
Thank you. If you start with the attitude of I don't know if I will succeed,then you won't.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Thank you. If you start with the attitude of I don't know if I will succeed,then you won't.

This is true...but you have to assess the risk factor don't you? I realise nothing is guaranteed, but you need a wee cushion to fall back on first. If you hadn't done the kennels, what would you have done?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 07:02 PM

I have been self employed a few times, the last time for about ten years. Yes it has its plus points but there are also some downsides too. I found I was still working in my head late at night so gave it up and got a part time job. It's still hard work but I just have to turn up.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 07:13 PM

What did you do, LD? Is that the graphic design you mentioned?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 07:26 PM

This is true...but you have to assess the risk factor don't you? I realise nothing is guaranteed, but you need a wee cushion to fall back on first. If you hadn't done the kennels, what would you have done?
PK nothing to fall back on would have lost everything and been on the streets begging.

Just think of that leap = packed up a job- sold our house- moved to a strange part of the country- took on a business we knew nothing about , bought a business that was going downhill rapidly. madness yes but made us determined to suceed as we had no option.

only 350 clients on the books and very little turnover to work with. Sold up about 25 years later with 5,500 clients on the books and an annual turnover of £100,000+
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

21-07-2021, 07:30 PM

Good for you RS, You should be proud of yourselves. Many people would be hesitant to take that risk! Are the kennels still going now, do you know?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 07:30 PM

I would rather be employed and having a sure paycheck coming in. But if I was stuck, then certainly I would try to give running my own business a shot. It takes years to make a profit though because you need to plough everything back into the business. Including time.
It takes dedication. But, people work from home, no real overheads. Get a good accountant, and you'll pay little tax. Or, it was fair game pre credit crunch before tax avoidance became a dirty word.

Youngsters today are meeting on Zoom, making money, presumably. Makes you wonder.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

21-07-2021, 07:33 PM

Good for you RS, You should be proud of yourselves. Many people would be hesitant to take that risk! Are the kennels still going now, do you know?
yes but the new owners of over 7 years ago now do tend to upset pet owners from what I have read. they now do half breeding and half boarding as well as the cattey. with new regulations an environmental health officers that have no idea of private animal boarding we got out at tghe right time
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

21-07-2021, 07:34 PM

I know D00d....I daresay if we are 20 years (or more) younger, we would be online entrepreneurs by now! Tik Tocking all over the place! One young girl has a tik tok account and makes funny faces. That's all she does. Now she has bought her own house outright with the money she made!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

21-07-2021, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
yes but the new owners of over 7 years ago now do tend to upset pet owners from what I have read. they now do half breeding and half boarding as well as tghe cattey
Well RS, pet owners were used to you and your wife doing things, so change is hard for some people. Especially when it comes to looking after their pets.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top