Join for free
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 03:05 PM

Premium rate phone numbers

Grrrrr. At least in the UK you can use "saynoto0870" to avoid most premium rate numbers. Alas here, you can't.

So when an airline website has a glitch that prevents you from checking in online and says "All passengers have already checked in for this flight" when you are a passenger and you haven't checked in you have to ring them. If you email them they advise you to ring reservations. You ring reservations, which is supposed to be open all day, and you cannot get a person - just all automated menus, none of which deal with your problem. And of course, there is lots of automated talking before you even get to the menu so that the cost of the call increases.
I hate hate hate premium rate numbers and the technology that goes with them!!!!

And breathe...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 03:29 PM

Re: Premium rate phone numbers

I agree and also people who say they will ring back, yesterday 9am I rang Barclays firstly no local number you end up talking to India I think it was, chap says they don't have a branch in Knaphill, well they have only been there for about 45 years so I excuse him that mistake, then he can't put me through I have to leave a message and they will ring e back as soon as they get the message. Well still waiting will have to go in there Monday if they don't ring before I go out.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 03:54 PM

It annoys me when internet-based companies (yahoo, AVG) won't let you email them but give you a phone number to ring if you are experiencing problems - you just know you'll wave goodbye to £5 minimum if you do ring; problems go unsolved
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 05:50 PM

Right up there and for me Gov based phone lines are the worst punishing those who have the least disposable income.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 10:30 PM

I agree with all of you. It has always vexed me very much when people say they'll ring back and don't. As for the premium rate phone lines and their automated messages, they are such an unbelievable rip off. The recorded messages go on for ages sometimes, and even then you don't always get through to actually speak to someone in the end. I don't know how they get away with it.
And what about all the people who do phone-in votings on telly, that's another rip off, yet some people vote over and over again. They must either have money to burn, or else they're not the one who pays the phone bills.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top