Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 05:08 PM

Wyvales Garden Centres

I garden at home and at work as it's my job there so I tend to frequent Garden Centres and Nurseries quite a lot, looking for bargains usually so I thought I'd pass this on.

We have a Wyvales store not far away and I'm finding them a lot more attractive in terms of plants and garden equipment lately.

At one time this particular store was not good at looking after its plants at all and it was often heart-breaking to see the waste involved and, even worse, it was often difficult to find a plant in such a condition that you were prepared to pay the price on the ticket!

That's all changed now and, as a Wyvales Gardening Club Member I've had quite a lot of good plants at a very good discount over the past two years.

Today we nipped in there just to see what they had on offer and I've got compost that I needed @ £1.99 per 35 litre bag - and it's Arthur Bowers too, not what I'd normally buy 'cos it's usually high-priced!

I also desperately needed a leaf rake at work - been asking for two years now - and they had one, 24" wide on a hardwood handle for £9.99!

That's better than my home one, which cost £29.99, 7 years ago!

They had a very good range of seeds too and after searching in two other garden centres I've found exactly what I wanted in Wyvales today so if you don't normally use Wyvales (I didn't!) have a look again when you've got the time. stevmk2
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 05:20 PM

Re: Wyvales Garden Centres

Our garden centres don't always look after plants well and not much variety either really (not sure if it's because a lot of plants don't thrive well in a salty atmosphere) but when I want to ring the changes from the norm, I buy things from Buckinghamshire Nurseries online - they have some lovely stuff and not too expensive (compared to our prices anyway). Nice to find something that puts a smile on your face isn't it
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 05:27 PM

They serve good food in their restaurants too.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 05:33 PM

Our best local garden centre is Squires quite a few bargains and they know what they are talking about if you ask a question. Our local Wyevale isn't so good and quite a bit dearer.

We have a local nursery that only opens spring - autumn they are brilliant for veggies and bedding.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 08:10 PM

Thanks for that Steve, good to know.

I do believe the garden centres are learning a big lesson. Last year, our local one had far too much stock in early and because of the weather, it didn't sell.
I enjoy a wander round though, I like to look at shrubs and perennials, and a spot of lunch is good
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Our best local garden centre is Squires quite a few bargains and they know what they are talking about if you ask a question. Our local Wyevale isn't so good and quite a bit dearer.

We have a local nursery that only opens spring - autumn they are brilliant for veggies and bedding.

Same here Julie. Our local Wyevale is quite a bit dearer too.
There is a very nice garden place 2 villages away though, I use it all the time. The staff are really good and their plants are mostly excellent. There is a nice little restaurant overlooking a large Koi pond which makes it a nice setting to have a cuppa too. If they haven't got something, they will try to get it in for you as well.
Also, if I want to know anything and they're not sure of the
answer, they'll go and look it up for me.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 10:16 PM

This time of year is excellent for buying reduced shrubs, perennials and sometimes seeds. Our best garden centre is in Cheddar, but a quite new Dobbies owned by Tesco also have a good bargain section.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2014, 09:24 AM

I like Dobbies too sadly none round here but when we are on holiday we always try to visit one.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2014, 10:00 AM

We used to have a really good Wyvale but they priced themselves out of existance. It is a shame because, as Pats said, they served delicious food and they also had an excellent 'books and gifts' department.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2014, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
This time of year is excellent for buying reduced shrubs, perennials and sometimes seeds. Our best garden centre is in Cheddar, but a quite new Dobbies owned by Tesco also have a good bargain section.
That's the main reason I go to garden centres Twizard, especially our Wyvales, which not only discounts slow-moving stock regularly but also tools etcetera.

I also get a further discount or offers as a Gardening Club member, even on already discounted lines plus I get points on what I buy.

Last October I bought quite a range of flower seeds at Wyvales as they were being sold off at 50p or 99p - they were all well within date for this year and some were very expensive normally so for me it was definitely worth it because I do grow a lot of annuals from seed to save money.

We have a Dobbies close by too, but I've always found them too expensive but occasionally they do sell-off slow or non-moving stock.

I also bought a small shed from them a while ago as they had what I wanted at the price I was prepared to pay and we also bought an arbour there for the same reason - like everything these days, you really have to shop around to get the best deals but then you have to weigh it against petrol costs as well! stevmk2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top