Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 08:51 PM

Which diets have you tried?

And what did you think of them?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 09:18 PM

Re: Which diets have you tried?

Slimmers World worked for me quite a few years ago - the `red days` especially as did the Atkins diet but sooner or later I get stalled of the inflexibility of the diets and revert to back to my old habits.

Although overweight my weight was fairly stable as I didn't have breakfasts or dinners, just one main meal of an evening. On doctors advice, to boost my metabolism, she put me on a diet with bread, pasta and potatoes in it, things I seldom ate before. As a consequence I'm now a type II diabetic previously having normal sugar levels. Grrr....
indenial
Lincolnshire UK
indenial is female 

04-02-2016, 09:57 PM

I've a couple of friends who speak very highly of Slimmers' World and go to weekly sessions. (It finishes at the same time as Zumba and I often see a group of them in the cake shop afterwards- perhaps cakes are part of the diet, who knows!)

I have never followed any diet and I think I would find it very difficult. I just exclude sugar as much as possible and eat a largely Mediterranean diet with the occasional curry thrown in.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 10:22 PM

Twelve months ago I was put on a diet of 140 grams max of carbs per day as I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. At first I went mad and tried to cut carbs out altogether but then settled down to eating less potatoes, pasta, rice etc and lost over a stone in weight this way. I'm waiting to hear the results of my blood test this week to see if it has worked, but at least I'm a stone lighter and under 8 stone.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 11:15 PM

None, I eat a healthy diet which includes a bit of everything.

I have a lower BP, cholesterol and sugar level than my 27 year old daughter who is a size 10.

Dont see the point in changing whats obviously working.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 11:32 PM

When i was young in my 20's i started doing the Weight Watchers diet, it was worked on a 20 point system all foods had a points value ie... an Apple was 1 point. I became very strict with myself where i were eating less points and became Anorexic.. It took hold of me and lasted about 2 years until i changed my ways and became me again!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 12:25 AM

Diets don't work, exercise, eating regularly have worked ok for me.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by indenial ->
I've a couple of friends who speak very highly of Slimmers' World and go to weekly sessions. (It finishes at the same time as Zumba and I often see a group of them in the cake shop afterwards- perhaps cakes are part of the diet, who knows!)

I have never followed any diet and I think I would find it very difficult. I just exclude sugar as much as possible and eat a largely Mediterranean diet with the occasional curry thrown in.

Is Slimmers World the same as 'Slimming World'?
I went to Slimming World for a few weeks but although their meals and cook books are smashing, I didn't like the actual group meetings much. It was full of young Mums with pre-school children rushing about screaming and playing, I could hardly hear a word the 'leader' was saying to us.

I do the 5 : 2 diet now, and find it really good and it doesn't cost me £5 as week (or whatever it was) for any membership.
indenial
Lincolnshire UK
indenial is female 

05-02-2016, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Is Slimmers World the same as 'Slimming World'?
I went to Slimming World for a few weeks but although their meals and cook books are smashing, I didn't like the actual group meetings much. It was full of young Mums with pre-school children rushing about screaming and playing, I could hardly hear a word the 'leader' was saying to us.

I do the 5 : 2 diet now, and find it really good and it doesn't cost me £5 as week (or whatever it was) for any membership.
You're right - I've just checked and it is actually Slimming World. It's funny, I've always referred to it as Slimmers' World.

It does seem very popular - I don't know how it compares with Weight Watchers in popularity, but we have at least two Weight Watchers groups in this small town as well as the Slimming World one.

And yet, we struggle to get a handful of people to Zumba, and on more than one occasion I have been the only one turning up to Aquacize.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 09:42 AM

Never tried any diet, I don't see the need. Being active and eating sensibly does the trick. Swallowing slimming pills and forking out money to lose weight is for dumb people.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top