Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 02:36 PM

Rates of Gout on the Increase

The prevalence of gout - traditionally associated with too much port and an unhealthy lifestyle - is soaring in the UK, according to a study.

One in 40 people in the UK is affected, according to analysis of 15 years of results, in the Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases journal.

The disease, which particularly affects the overweight, can be countered by lifestyle changes.

But researchers say not enough people are getting access to medication.

Gout is a type of arthritis, caused by a build-up of uric acid in the blood.

Crystals of sodium urate produced by the body can form inside joints and can cause sudden and severe pain, together with swelling and redness.

Even though it was traditionally linked to "good living" among the wealthy, it can affect anyone.

However, it is more common in people who are overweight or obese and in those who have high blood pressure or diabetes.

Drinking too much beer or spirits can also increase the risk, but the condition can be managed through changes in lifestyle, like losing weight.

There is also medication available which lowers levels of uric acid.

Between 1997 and 2012, the prevalence of gout rose by 64%, increasing by around 4% every year.

Rates were around four times higher in men than women across the entire period, and the highest rates were in Wales and north-east England.

There are some risk factors for gout which cannot be changed.

I have never known anyone who has had gout and I always thought of it as an 'old' disease that isn't around really anymore.

The usual culprits are on the list of contributory factors: drinking, being overweight, poor diet, being old. I notice that it is worse in the NE and Wales - both areas of high unemployment.

Should the cost of leisure activities be subsidised for those with health problems making exercise more affordable? Should all healthy foods be subsidised making it as affordable as fast food?

There has to be a way of reducing all these things that are caused by poor incomes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25742467
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 02:46 PM

Re: Rates of Gout on the Increase

My husband had a bout of this back in the 80s we had a glut of tomatoes he was determined to eat and ended up with gout ! Luckily with medication and no more tomatoes he has been fine.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 03:03 PM

I didn't know tomatoes could cause it! I know they've been linked to Crohn's - you live and learn
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 03:22 PM

I think it's the citric acid, wonder if the increase in fruit juices could be having an effect ?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
My husband had a bout of this back in the 80s we had a glut of tomatoes he was determined to eat and ended up with gout ! Luckily with medication and no more tomatoes he has been fine.
Does that mean no tomatoes ever again, Julie, or will he in time be able to enjoy them in small doses ?

I never knew that tomatoes could could do that - I love them and eat them straight from the plants!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

16-01-2014, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Does that mean no tomatoes ever again, Julie, or will he in time be able to enjoy them in small doses ?

I never knew that tomatoes could could do that - I love them and eat them straight from the plants!
I may have this wrong but it's rattling around inside my head so I shall air it here and see if anyone knows more about it: I'm sure I once heard that the Chinese do not eat the pips/seeds in tomatoes because of something in them. I was also told, by a consultant gastroenterologist (sp?), to remove the seeds of tomatoes before I eat them. So, maybe it's something in the seeds?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 03:48 PM

Interesting that they don't happen to mention that gout can be a side effect of a number of drugs, including a very commonly used drug for blood pressure. I bet that is responsible for a lot of the new gout cases.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 03:48 PM

Well - they are part of the Deadly Nightshade family - so who knows. Will have to do some research now!

See - forums are good - they make you think!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

16-01-2014, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I may have this wrong but it's rattling around inside my head so I shall air it here and see if anyone knows more about it: I'm sure I once heard that the Chinese do not eat the pips/seeds in tomatoes because of something in them. I was also told, by a consultant gastroenterologist (sp?), to remove the seeds of tomatoes before I eat them. So, maybe it's something in the seeds?
I recall reading somewhere they could be used in place of aspirin, so something in them is pretty powerful.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

16-01-2014, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Interesting that they don't happen to mention that gout can be a side effect of a number of drugs, including a very commonly used drug for blood pressure. I bet that is responsible for a lot of the new gout cases.
I've recently been put on a blood pressure drug can you give the name of it? I've got enough problems without getting gout as well

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top