Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2014, 09:07 PM

Pocket money as a kid.

Stevmk2's post mentioning his paper round reminded me of some of the things we used to do to earn a few bob.
One sure way of getting a few bob was on 'Cattle Day' every Wednesday, the cattle farmers loaded their cattle from various points in the country to be sent up to Dublin, when they reached the station which was not far from where we live, they had to be herded down to the docks for export to the UK, beef on the hoof. The farmers would seek the help of half a dozen or so kids to help keep the cows in line all the way to the docks and any lad who had any cop on and his own sturdy stick would be waiting at the station for the job, oh my God what would the health and safety think about that! It was nearly three hours work getting them down to the boat and you usually got a ten bob note for your pains, a princely sum in the 1950's, the farmers were never mean and they were always in good form, funny how that sticks in your mind, we used to love doing it, and we always got on well with the 'Culchies', thats an old expression for anyone living outside of Dublin, they call us 'Jackeens' so it evens out and nobody is offended.
Did you earn pocket money as a kid?
That's long finished now but I found this old photo on the internet some years ago, the cattle are heading for the docks, it's before my time as a cowboy but it gives you an idea, pity it's coloured in. Notice the kids behind the lone cow on the left.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2014, 09:45 PM

Re: Pocket money as a kid.

What a lovely old photo, Jem !

Yes, we had to earn our pocket money doing various chores around the house and baby sitting - that sort of thing. Would have loved to do a paper round but was not allowed.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2014, 11:18 PM

Great photo Jem, yes those were the days

When we were kids we lived in an agricultural county and used to go apple picking, we would climb the trees and hand the baskets of apples down to someone on the ground, kids not allowed to do that now

We also washed cars, did a paper round, and when we got to 'teenager' age I even cut peoples lawns.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2014, 11:28 PM

Great photo Jem

Other than doing various jobs around the house, I used to take a neighbour's baby out in the pram for an hour or so in the afternoon during the school summer holidays.

Thinking back, we had proper summers in those days not dreary wet ones like we have now
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2014, 11:58 PM

I remember my lovely granddad used to give us sixpence every Saturday when he came round.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 07:41 AM

I once went potato picking.........only the once as it was back-breaking work. I also did a bit of caddying at the local golf course for about 5/- a round, I quite enjoyed doing that.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 08:27 AM

Where I grew up, kids were taught to "Pick a pocket or two".
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 09:04 AM

Great PIcture Jem.

I did a paper round for 2 weeks (wage 17/6) On the third week I was informed I was 10 shillings short, so theyy took it from my money.
My dad , on hearing this from me, stormed over to the newsagent, got hold of the manager by his collar & hoisted up in to the air.
" I think you owe my son 10 bob (50p)" He whispered in the poor chaps shell like. I had my money back & my dad (and me) were banned from the shop.
I made a mental note not to tell my dad anything in future.
A few weeks later the man's son cornered me & thumped me & gave me a black eye for good measure.I didnt retaliate, he was twice my size.

Many many years later, about 1990,I was manager of an out of town retail shed. I had a call from the info desk
"THere's the retail direc of *******Paints wants to see you"
I replied he hasnt an appointment. Then I looked at him on the CCTV. It was the"SON" of the newsagent, so I went out
to see him and I only said 2 words.
Not the2 words based commonly on sex & travel but a more direct & succinct

"You're barred"

PS, he came back the next month and we shook hands & never mentioned our little" incident again.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Great photo Jem, yes those were the days

When we were kids we lived in an agricultural county and used to go apple picking, we would climb the trees and hand the baskets of apples down to someone on the ground, kids not allowed to do that now

We also washed cars, did a paper round, and when we got to 'teenager' age I even cut peoples lawns.

In my day we called that 'scrumping' as we didn't get paid for it, but ate the contents of the baskets instead.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 10:36 AM

Robert that's a fantastic story. Made me laugh
I always wanted to do a paper round but my Mum wouldn't let me either.
Said she didn't want me trailing the streets, carrying a heavy bag and in the dark. So she made me do the bedrooms and gave me half a crown instead.
Mind you, that was when I was 14. I started work at 15 so earned my own spending money. Of course you had to give half your 45hour a week wage to your Mam. As it was only £3 a week my £1.50 didn't last long even in those days.
Cant remember getting spending money before I was 14. We didn't have any to give.

p.s. great photo of the cows, even the tram is helping

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top