Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 03:17 PM

Dark Supermarkets?

Online food shopping: What is a 'dark' supermarket?

Originally Posted by BBC News
On the High Street, the big supermarkets are diversifying - both Sainsbury's and Tesco now have more smaller sized convenience stores than larger, traditional supermarkets.

An increasing number of people are also shopping online.

Tim Muffett reports from a 'dark' store.
Clever. Supermarkets that cater exclusively for the online only customer.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 03:26 PM

Re: Dark Supermarkets?

I would never buy supermarket food on line - I like to see what I am buying!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 03:26 PM

Haven't ventured to online supermarkets - I like to feel me bits before I buy - I'd end up with stock they want to get rid of !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 03:35 PM

Ocado, and Tesco are both excellent online, I buy all my heavy stuff and frozen and dairy, long use by dates on them all. I also buy my meat and most vegetables from them. It's only when I need bread I go myself and that's more about not wanting it squashed than anything.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 03:52 PM

If I was still working, I might consider it (but my experience with Tesco wasn't a good one) - maybe if M&S or Waitrose did home delivery I'd chance it. As it is, time isn't really a factor and I wouldn't want to bulk buy anymore. I'm happy shopping day-to-day.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Haven't ventured to online supermarkets - I like to feel me bits before I buy - I'd end up with stock they want to get rid of !

Sorry Patsy, I had to read that twice, couldn't help but wonder how that helped.....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 04:38 PM

'cheeky'
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 05:10 PM

Interesting bit for me was the way the workers gathered the goods using the readout. They had a number of baskets, with each basket allocated to a customer, and they would go round the store in a way that didn't cause any unnecessary journeys, the most efficient and direct way to fill the baskets. Now, if only a normal user could construct a similar order list instead of walking miles looking for whatever. Obviously the supermarkets wouldn't like that as the more you walk the more chance you will impulse buy.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

18-01-2014, 05:12 PM

I do that - until they decide to move everything, then I have to search ..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
If I was still working, I might consider it (but my experience with Tesco wasn't a good one) - maybe if M&S or Waitrose did home delivery I'd chance it. As it is, time isn't really a factor and I wouldn't want to bulk buy anymore. I'm happy shopping day-to-day.
Fair enough we all do what suits us best I think, BTW waitrose does do home delivery here now I imagined it was nationwide but not 100% sure on that.

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Interesting bit for me was the way the workers gathered the goods using the readout. They had a number of baskets, with each basket allocated to a customer, and they would go round the store in a way that didn't cause any unnecessary journeys, the most efficient and direct way to fill the baskets. Now, if only a normal user could construct a similar order list instead of walking miles looking for whatever. Obviously the supermarkets wouldn't like that as the more you walk the more chance you will impulse buy.
That works well in empty stores they do it in our Tesco and chaos ensues as they walk down the up aisles and cut across the store wiping out all before them LOL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top