Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2016, 07:04 PM

Book lovers

A lot of truth in this...

Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2016, 07:07 PM

Re: Book lovers

I love getting "lost" in a good book...One series of books I read a while ago now were by Belinda Jones and each book was set in a different country ,all were lighthearted romantic comedies but every time I read one I felt as though I was on holiday in that country it was such good writing and I hated getting to the end of the story
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2016, 07:51 PM

When I get to the end of a good book or series of books it's like losing a friend !
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2016, 08:24 PM

I find it difficult to start another book after I've finished reading a good one.
graculus
Yorkshire
graculus is male  graculus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2016, 08:53 PM

I really must stop buying books. I keep telling myself that but it doesn't work. They are just too tempting in the charity shops. I read all sorts (just finishing a book by Eve Ensler which is very good), nothing I would call favourite except the one I'm reading at the moment. I've got piles of books hidden all over the place. Good thing is they can always go back to the charity shops after. Same goes for music, bought about 15 cds in Oxfam last week.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2016, 09:10 PM

The worst thing was finishing The Shepherd's Crown & knowing it wasn't just the end of a brilliant book & the end of the Tiffany series, but also the very last one that Terry Pratchett would ever write.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2016, 09:16 PM

I get at least three books from the library at a time, usually two out of three are good reads. Mostly Victorian crime novels or Alexander McCall Smith.
There's a Book Barn nearby, most books are £1 and it's deadly! You could spend a week in there, the smell is wonderful, they have a lovely cafe too!
I usually come out with something very old, smelly and falling to bits (book not a man) and thoroughly enjoy it.
graculus
Yorkshire
graculus is male  graculus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2016, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I get at least three books from the library at a time, usually two out of three are good reads. Mostly Victorian crime novels or Alexander McCall Smith.
McCall Smith writes the sorts of book that are easy to sink into and before you realise they have ended and it's time to search for the next one. I find that Kate Atkinson books have the same effect.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2016, 10:08 PM

McCall Smith is a very good observerer of people , I love his Ladies Detective Series, he has the African characters just right.
I don't know Kate Atkinson, I'll have to look out for her!
graculus
Yorkshire

23-01-2016, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
McCall Smith is a very good observerer of people , I love his Ladies Detective Series, he has the African characters just right.
I don't know Kate Atkinson, I'll have to look out for her!
Yes the Lady Detective series is fun. I also enjoyed the Scotland Street and Isabel Dalhousie books. With Kate Atkinson the Jackson Brodie books might be a good place to start, they did televise them but they are better read. The first one is One Good Turn, followed by When Will There be Good News and then Started Early, Took My Dog

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top