Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 02:04 PM

Re: Alexa Device Issues?

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Sat Navs are rubbish - can't beat a map and a compass!
Or Googlemaps/Navigation.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Or Googlemaps/Navigation.
Or OS maps.

When you google it, you see an app with monthly and annual subscription options.
However, I seem to have an app on my phone without subscriptions. I don't remember where I got it from, but it might have been this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_GB&gl=US
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2021, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I,now, have about 5 Alexa devices in my abode. They are sprad around the rooms.

They are clearly seen as a good Xmas present so I will not be surprised to get some more!

Anyway, here is an Alexa problem which I am trying to solve.

I want to get all of these devices into sync, so that as we wander from room to room, we're not hearing the words or Music catching up from the room before.

There is a Alexa feature called "Everywhere".

If I shout "Alexa, play BBC World Service, everywhere", sure enough I get all the alexas synced perfectly and the language is English.

However, If I want to try the same thing with BBC Radio 2 (for example) they sync OK but spoken language comes out as Welsh! No amount of fumbling with the languages, in the Alexa App, fixes this.

Someone might have solved this?

Note, all my Alexas are on the same WiFi.

In Technology, sometimes the fixes are so simple that they embarass us when we find an answer!

I found, after all this time, that the Alexa "everywhere" command works fine if I speak it straight into the Mobile Phone on which the Alexa Apop is installed.

It doesn't work if I try to speak to it through any of the speakers.

Also, the Welsh Language goes back to English if I use the mobile to input.

That's it sorted!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 01:12 AM

This thread is hilarious. Thanks for posting and giving me a laugh. Now Bezos has stepped down expect more fun and games.

At the end of the day all this tech is a gossamer illusion of permanency. I totally agree with ST about maps and a compass. Let's see who is right long term (if we are still around when it all flops!)
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
In Technology, sometimes the fixes are so simple that they embarass us when we find an answer!

I found, after all this time, that the Alexa "everywhere" command works fine if I speak it straight into the Mobile Phone on which the Alexa Apop is installed.

It doesn't work if I try to speak to it through any of the speakers.

Also, the Welsh Language goes back to English if I use the mobile to input.

That's it sorted!
yes you only had to turn yourself into a pretzel to get this point in your AI journey.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
yes you only had to turn yourself into a pretzel to get this point in your AI journey.
I don't understand what you're saying, but I fully support your right to say it!

What's a "pretzel"?

Is it a chip (microchip?)

Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 12:12 PM

I need to resurrect this thread as my daughter has bought me an ‘Alexa’ Echo Dot Fourth Generation.

Ted, l have just requested it to play Radio 2 and it is the English station..

I would like some tips on the various things l can use it for, besides, music, reminders, weather, news and recipes.

I was a bit concerned where l read it listens into your conversation and it could be used on the dark web!!!
It also states that you must not keep ‘Alexa’ by a window as it is risking your privacy. It can enable intruders to access your smart speaker and other smart home devices from outside. They may even be able to unlock your car and start it!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I need to resurrect this thread as my daughter has bought me an ‘Alexa’ Echo Dot Fourth Generation.

I would like some tips on the various things l can use it for, besides, music, reminders, weather, news and recipes.
Yes, I may have mentioned it earlier but nevertheless:
you can ask Alexa to fart - and it is an English fart.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 02:06 PM

I was a bit concerned where l read it listens into your conversation and it could be used on the dark web!!!
It also states that you must not keep ‘Alexa’ by a window as it is risking your privacy. It can enable intruders to access your smart speaker and other smart home devices from outside. They may even be able to unlock your car and start it!
I wouldn't be too concerned about supposed security issues because Amazon really, really wouldn't want to get a bad reputation (and so ruin years of work to get where they are now) so they go above & beyond to ensure your safety.

In our home Alexa is basically a toy and other than shopping lists there's nothing I can think of that I would add to your list.
One of Amazon's best uses (Guard, an app to listen for problems in your home whilst you are out) sadly isn't available here.

But reconizing that everybody is different, here's a few UK-specific ideas from Which:
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/02...ks-and-skills/
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

06-04-2021, 04:39 PM

Does so many things, Art, my list would be:-

1) I fall down when alone, anywhere in my house, and shout "Alexa Get help". Alexa has been given several numbers and will call them in emergency.
(Tested & works)

2) Reminders - everything from cooking times to prescription taking times, to almost any other time you want to set up.

(tested & works- used every day.)

3) Answer to questions - about geography, weather, calculations, etc.

4) Plays music, various radio stations, etc.

5) Using adapters can control lights, heating, etc.

6)A recipe for dinner? yes!

7) Bus & train times.

I could go on.

Security is not an issue- except when people can hear what you are saying to Alexa. Some say that they see the light come and and that means it's listening - wrong, but it knows when you are in the room .

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top