Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 04:04 PM

Re: Windows 11 ?

This looks to me like I'll have to accelerate my plan to move to Ubuntu and have Windows removed from our desktops. Shame MS is planning to kill off Skype because I like using that for video chats with friends in Malaysia.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
This looks to me like I'll have to accelerate my plan to move to Ubuntu and have Windows removed from our desktops. Shame MS is planning to kill off Skype because I like using that for video chats with friends in Malaysia.
I'm hoping that MS, in their greed, might have shot themselves in the foot!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
It is quite a progression but will home users really need this?
I don't see it's usefulness for home users from what I've read, but I suppose time will tell.
Personally I think that Microsoft have left it too late and the technological advances of recent years have already caused such a negative impact upon what was once their core business that they will never recover their once-dominant status.
Hence their decision there to concentrate primarily upon business cloud computing.
I think I'll see out what time I have left, by continuing to avoid any sort of Cloud .

It will get harder for users to keep their stuff on their PCs, especially as a bit more cloud storage takes the place of real stuff, every year.

I store nothing in the cloud, at this time, and will stay that way (assuming it remains possible).

All the big users, I expect, will want the benefits of cloud & will possibly push to have a cloud unit built near their systems.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
You could always use WhatsApp or something similar?
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I live in hope!

I'd have kept XP if I could, and if it was still supported.
Actually, even if it wasn't!
XP was as much if not more than any home user ever needed. I still have an ancient Dell lappy with XP and during the last problem the NHS had with the bulk of their desktops equipped with unsupported XP, that saw Windows put of a renewed lot of updates and other security runs aimed at XP, I took advantage and updated my XP too. It's still running and as I downloaded the MRT (malicious software removal tool), it still scans with MRT and still functions as it has always done.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
XP was as much if not more than any home user ever needed. I still have an ancient Dell lappy with XP and during the last problem the NHS had with the bulk of their desktops equipped with unsupported XP, that saw Windows put of a renewed lot of updates and other security runs aimed at XP, I took advantage and updated my XP too. It's still running and as I downloaded the MRT (malicious software removal tool), it still scans with MRT and still functions as it has always done.
That's interesting.
I still have a couple of old laptops (I hoard things), but I don't think either of them run XP. I think one of them is Vista.
Unfortunately, as they become old they don't run very well, which is why I replaced them.

I think the ideal would be if you could buy new, up to date laptops with a choice of the version of Windows you prefer.
Yes, I know that third party software sometimes insists on recent version(s) of Windows to run properly, but I think the same applies: if the software I run works perfectly, even on an old version of Windows, why change?

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top