Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 11:31 AM

Adopting a retired greyhound

Since we lost our last dog, Daisy a cocker spaniel, to kidney failure in January 2020 the house has seemed really empty. We didn't think we could have another dog because my husband is now infirm and uses a wheelchair and we thought that it would be difficult to manage a dog whilst going out with the wheelchair. Also, a small dog might trip my husband up because he is so unsteady on his feet.

However, we are adopting a retired greyhound and I pick her up on Sunday! I researched the breed carefully after I saw an elderly lady in an electric wheelchair with a greyhound walking on a lead next to her. We looked on the Greyhound Trust site and then visited one of their kennels and met a lovely greyhound who had been in a domestic situation with a lady who used a wheelchair! We walked this greyhound next to our wheelchair and it worked perfectly.

To cut a long story short - I shall be collecting Annie, our new family member on Sunday. She is 6 years old and is beautiful! I feel excited and nervous at the same time ...
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 11:35 AM

Re: Adopting a retired greyhound

How wonderful Margaret! How exciting this will be - and for you to get one who is used to wheelchairs too. Greyhounds are beautiful dogs, I'm sure you will all be so happy together!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 11:54 AM

You are a total legend. Anybody who gives a dog a loving home is as good as it gets.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 12:49 PM

Just have to supercharge the wheelchair to exercise the dog
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 01:17 PM

That’s wonderful news Margaret and Annie will be lovely company for you both.

Well done for adopting her...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 01:29 PM

Margaret, that sounds like it was meant to be, to me.
You saw a dog with someone in a wheelchair, and then you found one needing a home who happened to have been with a wheelchair user - it was meant to be. She must have been waiting just for you.

So pleased for you, and best of luck for Sunday. A reputable rescue will give you lots of help and support too.

Hope it all works out beautifully for you all, including Annie.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 01:38 PM

Thank you all for your kind comments.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 01:40 PM

I've nothing to say about greyhounds, but I am planning to retire soon, and I don't really know what I'm going to do with myself when I do. I saw the thread title and it gave me an idea, but I need to think about it for a bit before I say what it is.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK

17-06-2021, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Margaret, that sounds like it was meant to be, to me.
You saw a dog with someone in a wheelchair, and then you found one needing a home who happened to have been with a wheelchair user - it was meant to be. She must have been waiting just for you.

So pleased for you, and best of luck for Sunday. A reputable rescue will give you lots of help and support too.

Hope it all works out beautifully for you all, including Annie.
Yes Mups, that is what I thought too! We had a home visit yesterday and the lady brought her greyhound with her to inspect the garden - everything went smoothly. The Greyhound Trust have given us plenty of advice and we have been invited to join a 'Greyhound Playgroup' near to where we live where owners walk together with their dogs and then have a safe field in which they can let their dogs off the lead to run for a while. Followed by tea and cake for the owners
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
Yes Mups, that is what I thought too! We had a home visit yesterday and the lady brought her greyhound with her to inspect the garden - everything went smoothly. The Greyhound Trust have given us plenty of advice and we have been invited to join a 'Greyhound Playgroup' near to where we live where owners walk together with their dogs and then have a safe field in which they can let their dogs off the lead to run for a while. Followed by tea and cake for the owners

Once she settles in, I bet you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner, she'll be grand company.

I look forward to your first photos.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top