Join for free
Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 10:16 AM

Re: Cats and Idiots.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
We had a fox coming in and using the raised beds as a toilet. Had to clear away a big poo every day until it was covered in potato plants and some grating. Animals think humans put the raised beds there for them to use as a nice soft toilet. The cats do this in Autumn/winter.

Swim the answer to both problems is to get a dog.
a) it will warn you when either are in the garden and b) it will definitely get rid of any cats. They also scare off intruders. Also very good company and you could get someone to walk it for you, or get a small yappy dog that doesn't need lots of walking.

Annie, sorry, but I don't agree with the dog idea at all.

That is the wrong reason to take on a dog, just to chase people's cats away!
From what he says about his worsening health, he would not manage a big dog, and a small dog would so easily be stolen.

Also, what happens to the dog every time Swim is in hospital? It would not be fair at all IMO.
I also remember him saying ages ago that rescue turned him down because of his age.

There is also a need to be careful with razor wire according to the Police website. See below:

" Using barbed/razor wire and broken glass in order to stop people getting into your home is not advisable.
You are making yourself liable to civil action, if by doing this someone is injured, as you owe a duty of care to ensure that visitors to your property are reasonably safe. Odd as it may seem, you also owe a duty of care to trespassers.

The use of such a preventative measure could also be seen as being detrimental to the neighbourhood. "

The only answer to all the problems Swim seems to have where he lives, is to get out! Move elsewhere. Others have suggested the same many times.

Swim says he bought the house for Guy, but as Guy is poorly himself, do you honestly thinks he would want all the hassle of a living in a neighbourhood like that?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
To my mind it seems you are at risk of exacerbating the problems and of getting yourself in a legal challenge such as people who cannot read English.

Determined thieves would come prepared with cutters.

Unless you have CCTV you have no idea what animals, pets or wildlife are in your garden.

Apart from looking ugly and hostile, do not believe it is necessarily going to stop cats or idiots.

I have cctv...even if a burglar did enter my garden.. they could come wearing a balaclava...I wouldn’t know who they were...only time, and day they entered....I see a lot of wildlife though that I rather enjoy watching on camera,
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 10:31 AM

Having CCTV does suggest you have something worth nicking. It seems to make burglars more intent on getting their hands on it.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Having CCTV does suggest you have something worth nicking. It seems to make burglars more intent on getting their hands on it.
Really, I thought it worked as a deterrent...

That’s why people have them installed.

The cctv camera worked for me...caught a guy abusive to me on it, police involved, never been near me since the police told him it was all captured on camera....

Which at the time he didn’t know I had.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 10:36 AM

I have now got NATO Spec Galvanised Razor wire, to be placed on my side of the fences.

Nasty, but necessary
Is that legal ?
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 10:37 AM

I have now got NATO Spec Galvanised Razor wire, to be placed on my side of the fences.

Nasty, but necessary
Is that legal ? It might be easier to get a small dog or your own cat. Doh so good I wrote it twice
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

12-07-2021, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ripple ->

Nasty, but necessary
Is that legal ?

I’ve read that it’s legal Ripple.....it’s the implications that can arise if someone or something damages itself or their self on it.

To me that don’t make sense,
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Not as simple as that Twink.

If you have a dog you take it for a walk and pick up the poo, bag it and no problem to others.

If you have a cat you accept that it will poo in other peoples gardens and you will not clean up after it.

That means that you accept that you are putting others at risk.

Simply not on.

Owners clean up after dogs, they should the same for cats.

You can control cats, I lived with one of my tall slim blondes for 3 years, they used inside and outside litters and where not a problem.

Owning a cat is the same as owning a dog , you are responsible for it's actions.
Swim you are not being sensible here! All animals poo, so who do you expect to clean up fox poo,bird poo or from any other creatures that poos in your garden?
Apart from that , how do you know which cat had done the poo and how do the owners know it had been in your garden?
If I lived in an area of unfriendly neighbours, as you seem to do, I certainly wouldn't want to give them an excuse of coming into my garden to clear their cat poo.
If you actually believe that your tall slim ladies cats always pooed in their outside litter tray, how do you know they don't also go into other people gardens and poo there?
I have had cats for over 40 years & when indoors they always use litter trays which I clear...... but they don't have a specified toilet outside. If they did how can I be sure it was my cat's poo on it.
If you think it is ok to harm other peoples cats, don't be surprised if you become more unpopular with the neighbours!
Why not try using poo bags to pick up the poo in your
garden then nobody would be at risk? I am sure the garden is not so big that it would become a major chore and anyway how can you be sure they are not feral cats that poo there?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 10:50 AM

Swim, I would suggest the most sensible idea is to update your security.
That doesn't mean razor wire either. It means motion detector floodlights and a very loud alarm on your shed.

A opportunist would soon scarper if he was suddenly in the spotlight, with a loud alarm ringing.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ripple ->

Nasty, but necessary
Is that legal ? It might be easier to get a small dog or your own cat. Doh so good I wrote it twice
Hi

It is perfectly legal if you follow the rules, which I do.

You can buy it on Amazon

Having a cat or a dog is not an option for me, it would not be fair on them, in the last 5 weeks I have spent 18 days in hospital.

Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top