Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2012, 12:58 PM

Re: Inedible foods.

[QUOTE=Uncle Joe;225331]
Originally Posted by hazel ->
I ate it that way at college some 25 years ago. [

No Hazel darlin' - an adult residential college for 1 year in which I learned Sociology, Economics, Political and Economic History, Politics. (or at least they tried to teach me those things, in respect of Politics I knew as much if not more of the subject than the tutor). Meals there were fabulous though. Full breakfast at 08.00, coffee & sandwiches at 10.30ish, full lunch at 13.00, more coffee and sandwiches at 3.30ish, Supper at 19.00, and more coffee and sandwiches around 21.00. On Sundays, instead of Supper they called it 'High Tea' but it was still a full cooked meal. In the first term - January - Easter I gained a full stone in weight!!!
yes I did wonder what they could teach you about politics, and was feeling quite sorry for you foodwise, so when are you going back??
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2012, 02:30 PM

[QUOTE=hazel;225336]
Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->

yes I did wonder what they could teach you about politics, and was feeling quite sorry for you foodwise, so when are you going back??
Sad to say Hazel darlin' but it's a one off once in a lifetime, so won't be going back there unfortunately.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2012, 08:19 AM

I was browsing my photos when I was reminded of another dish I was unable to eat. If I hadn't wandered into the kitchen before the meat was cut up and put in the wok it wouldn't have been a problem. However the sight of raw toad straight from the paddy field and freshly skinned rather put me off.

I don't mind if they look reproachfully at you afterwards.

Smile for the camera... Yum!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2012, 08:27 AM

Bruce matey, not cooked correctly - Graunois should be soft and moist, cooked in garlic butter - delicious!!!!
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2012, 12:25 PM

Bruce those are positively mouth watering compared to what the two girls from "I'm a celebrity get me out of here" had to eat.
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2012, 12:22 PM

I put honey in my porridge.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2012, 01:46 PM

and dried fruit
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2012, 07:57 PM

Cream of chicken soup and hot buttered toast soldiers are my go to when feeling under the weather. Funny thing about porridge is that I never fancy it unless someone mentions it then get a craving, but unlike everyone on here I make it with water in the microwave, and add just a touch of salt, yeah I know sounds odd, but it actually does seem to sweeten it. I used to love golden syrup or even, and have to say this was my fave, tinned evaporated milk, like carnation, it makes the porridge go all thick and sticky. But since being diagnosed with TypeII it is salt and a dash of milk for me.

As for food I cannot/will not eat, have to agree with the tripe vote here, tasted it once and it was a bit like trying to eat a soggy flannel.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2012, 06:47 PM

Actually come to think of it there are a few other things cannot/will not eat; brawn, (hate the jelly bit) trotters, chitterlings, get the drift here? However I do like liver, (thick onion gravy and creamy mash mmmmmm) faggots (in a bowl covered with tin processed peas and baked long and slow in oven then dressed with vinegar and pepper and served with crusty bread - another mmmm), and another family favourite is stuffed and braised lambs hearts, or braised ox heart. Actually thick slices of ox heart can be fried or grilled and served with chips etc as a much cheaper alternative to steak, and is always tender, juicy and lacking in fat.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

12-12-2012, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
Cream of chicken soup and hot buttered toast soldiers are my go to when feeling under the weather. Funny thing about porridge is that I never fancy it unless someone mentions it then get a craving, but unlike everyone on here I make it with water in the microwave, and add just a touch of salt, yeah I know sounds odd, but it actually does seem to sweeten it. I used to love golden syrup or even, and have to say this was my fave, tinned evaporated milk, like carnation, it makes the porridge go all thick and sticky. But since being diagnosed with TypeII it is salt and a dash of milk for me.

As for food I cannot/will not eat, have to agree with the tripe vote here, tasted it once and it was a bit like trying to eat a soggy flannel.
DM I have a very good butcher who gets me lots of 'safari' meats (Eland, kangaroo, Kudu, Ostrich, water buffalo, Wildebeeste and Zebra) - lovely rich and very healthy meats as there is no fat on the steaks whatsoever, just solid chunks of flesh. I chop them,marinade them, toss in flour, flash fry them to seal the meat and then cook them in the slow cooker - absolutely delicious!!!

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top