Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2017, 11:48 PM

Re: Caged birds

A pal has an African Gray that spends all day out of its cage only returning to roost.

Not ideal but a much better life than most.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Sorry for going off topic here a little
but the book "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou is one of the best I've ever read.
The analogy with the slave is apt.

The caged bird sings
with a fearful trill
of things unknown
but longed for still
and his tune is heard
on the distant hill
for the caged bird
sings of freedom.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by tessa ->
"a robin red breast in a cage
puts all heaven in a rage.
A dove house fill'd with doves & pigeons
shudders hell thro' all its regions."

william blake

imagine if you could fly anywhere you liked, swooping and soaring, but, you were trapped in one room.
I don't like to see caged birds or fish in bowls and tanks, going round and round all day.

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 08:33 AM

Keeping birds captive is criminal in my book, i see the results of them escaping often, a slow lingering death is often the case.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 08:37 AM

While they are traded in pubs etc you will never stop it, personally I've always kept my animals best way I can, but there are obviously limits, what we need is change in laws no good blaming people when they are only doing what is legal. Need to go to the top and stop it.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Caged birds is there any sadder sight?
Today I saw a beautiful bird ( a cockatiel) in a small ornamental cage where it cannot fly in an empty room where there is nothing it can do and little it can see.
Why would anyone want to keep a bird with its wonderful gift of flight in a tiny prison .
Unless you have a large aviary no bird should be kept in a cage much less alone for ever.
These things hurt my heart do people have no empathy for these living creatures ?
We have had budgies, canaries and parrots over the years, I don't have a problem with that as long as the cages are of a reasonable size.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

09-05-2017, 09:04 AM

When you see a parrot such as the beautiful Macaw soaring over the jungle canopy with other of its species you realise what a terrible thing it is to do with highly intelligent being .Thats why so many parrots self harm in their distress .
Their basic instincts of flight and flock are suppressed and they are quite literally chained to one spot or imprisoned in solitary confinement .
They can live to be 100 years old can you imagine their dreadful lives no wonder they have psychological issues.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 09:13 AM

Attitudes towards animal welfare have changed so much since I was a child. In those days no one thought it was wrong to keep birds in a cage or a goldfish in a bowl. I had a budgie which lived for about eight years but what a terrible life he must have had. I'm glad that our understanding of animal life is generally changing for the better and that some of us question the way they are kept. Of course not everyone is sympathetic but at least it is going the right way.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
"A Robin Red breast in a Cage
Puts all Heaven in a Rage.
A dove house fill'd with doves & Pigeons
Shudders Hell thro' all its regions."

William Blake

Imagine if you could fly anywhere you liked, swooping and soaring, but, you were trapped in one room.
I don't like to see caged birds or fish in bowls and tanks, going round and round all day.

I completely agree, Tessa.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
We have had budgies, canaries and parrots over the years, I don't have a problem with that as long as the cages are of a reasonable size.
Cages the size of a county?

No bird should be kept in captivity, nor rabbit, nor hamster etc.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top