Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 05:10 PM

Re: Plastic waste from Supermarkets

Originally Posted by eccles ->
What's wrong with paper bags?
Where to start?

1. Expensive to make
2. Paper making is directly very polluting to water sources
3. Paper bags are thicker and heavier than the plastic equivalents so, transport costs are higher
4. Birth to death carbon footprint of paper bags is larger than for plastic bags (if treated the same)
5. Paper bags are single use only, plastic bags (even the thin ones) can be reused.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 05:23 PM

There's a shop opened in our town, about a year ago, which offers just this service, from olive oil to washing powder. The problem is, it's still cheaper to buy from Sainsbury's so the shop is always empty. I have no idea how the shop stays open tbh.

The plastic waste you see in the supermarket is only the half of it. You would be amazed how much plastic they get through behind the scenes so to speak, although it is all sent for recycling along with cardboard and paper.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 09:37 PM

I really can't see how plastic products can be removed completely, it's used for so many items, not just packaging. Most things you can name have plastic in or on them. Our window frames are plastic, DVD & CD cases are plastic, Lego is plastic other toys for kids are plastic, mobile phone cases are plastic. I could go on & on.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I really can't see how plastic products can be removed completely, it's used for so many items, not just packaging. Most things you can name have plastic in or on them. Our window frames are plastic, DVD & CD cases are plastic, Lego is plastic other toys for kids are plastic, mobile phone cases are plastic. I could go on & on.
I agree.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 10:28 PM

Yes, I agree Tiff.
We are surrounded with it when you think.

Whatever did we do before?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I agree.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, I agree Tiff.
We are surrounded with it when you think.

Whatever did we do before?
Thanks.
We had wood, metal, paper, pottery, leather, shopping baskets made of wovern rushes & withies. There were no mobile phones, no cassettes, no singles or LP's, no CD's or DVD's. Can't remember what 78's were made of.
Those were the good times.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 07:35 AM

Thanks.

Thanks.
We had wood, metal, paper, pottery, leather, shopping baskets made of wovern rushes & withies. There were no mobile phones, no cassettes, no singles or LP's, no CD's or DVD's. Can't remember what 78's were made of.
Those were the good times.
78s were made from Shellac (resin).

Does anyone remember Bakelite - an early form of plastic? My first tranny radio was made from that.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

Does anyone remember Bakelite - an early form of plastic? My first tranny radio was made from that.

I seem to think plugs were made of it too, weren't they Tabs?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

22-01-2020, 11:37 AM

I have some slippers made of bakelite.... bloody uncomfortable they are.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

22-01-2020, 12:42 PM

Thanks, yes, Shellac. My first portable radio was a Bush Bakelite TR82C Portable Radio, 1960s. I listened to it in the stable & the horse I was mucking out, lifted it up & dropped it in the water bucket, it didn't work after that. She didn't like my choice in music.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I seem to think plugs were made of it too, weren't they Tabs?
I think early ones were.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top