Join for free
Page 6 of 11 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 05:27 PM

Re: I may end up with another cat!

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
Have just read this thread, great to read about Mr Grey and his progress, (especially as we are going through a similar scenario with a visiting black cat, who now trusts me after many weeks and just loves lots of attention, from the hand that feeds her of course! She is still wary of Mr Glanny though. But...we are 99% sure she is not a stray having spoken to next door neighbours from the farm up the road, they say she belongs to one of their tenants who is moving out. We are annoyed that the woman who owns her seems to not be taking care of her, she has fleas and worms, and I have treated her for these. Don't really want her in the house so I have wedged the door of my greenhouse-cum-shed which is a very solid construction, (Mr G made it, block built and with sturdy pvc window frames ) and is warm and has 2 comfy chairs with cushions and blankets, and she goes in there for shelter. Sorry, muscling in on your thread..! )

Anyway, glad to hear Mr Grey is coming in to the house now and hope he will soon be fully integrated

JBR, hope Pumpkin will be back to her old self very soon

Sorry to hear about your insulin problems, Twink, hope you can it sorted soon. Always a worry especially if you haven't changed your regime or anything. Our son was diagnosed type1 when he was 16, I always worried about him going hypo in the night.
Glanny, we all know who will be the boss if it is between Mr Grey and myself! I coaxed him in with some cat food & chicken, around 2pm ( when it was cold ans raining) & put the heating on so he could get warm. I can't come to my PC when he is in here, or he will be afraid, but I think he has had a nice sleep & left... so probably will not return till I have locked up and left the cat flap open for him tonight. He is usually here when I get up, waiting for his breakfast.
Diabetes is a nightmare when things go wrong, but after 30 years I think I will be able to cope, providing the doctors are prepared to listen!
You sound like you are an animal lover so I am pleased that you are providing shelter for your visiting cat.
I have 2 foxes that visit, who look very healthy, but I suspect the cat food & left over chicken are helping them look so well!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2020, 08:01 PM

Our cat appeared to be worse yesterday evening, so much so that we called an emergency hospital as the earliest appointment we could get with our vet was the next afternoon and we were concerned that Pumpkin wouldn't make it through the night.

She was found to have a high temperature (41 degrees) and the vet told us that she also had a 'gallop rhythm' to her heart. This worried us quite a lot, especially when the vet explained that such an abnormal rhythm could be an indication of upcoming cardiomyopathy. Some such incidents can indicate end of life in 6 to 18 months. She gave her an injection to lower her temperature and told us to see our own vet tomorrow as planned.

She seemed much better today, but we took her to the vet anyway. On examination, her temperature was back down to normal (38.5 degrees) and there was no indication of a gallop rhythm. That was the most reassuring thing to me, for obvious reasons. The vet gave us some oral medicine to give her should she become worse.

Panic over!

Sorry to have intruded on to your thread, Twinkle!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2020, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Our cat appeared to be worse yesterday evening, so much so that we called an emergency hospital as the earliest appointment we could get with our vet was the next afternoon and we were concerned that Pumpkin wouldn't make it through the night.

She was found to have a high temperature (41 degrees) and the vet told us that she also had a 'gallop rhythm' to her heart. This worried us quite a lot, especially when the vet explained that such an abnormal rhythm could be an indication of upcoming cardiomyopathy. Some such incidents can indicate end of life in 6 to 18 months. She gave her an injection to lower her temperature and told us to see our own vet tomorrow as planned.

She seemed much better today, but we took her to the vet anyway. On examination, her temperature was back down to normal (38.5 degrees) and there was no indication of a gallop rhythm. That was the most reassuring thing to me, for obvious reasons. The vet gave us some oral medicine to give her should she become worse.

Panic over!

Sorry to have intruded on to your thread, Twinkle!
That's a relief for you JBR. We had a cat that had cardiomyopathy but she managed to live until she was eleven, so fingers crossed.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2020, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That's a relief for you JBR. We had a cat that had cardiomyopathy but she managed to live until she was eleven, so fingers crossed.
Thanks LD. 11 years is a good innings.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2020, 10:54 PM

That must have been very worrying for you to see Pumpkin so ill, JB.

Thank goodness the injection brought her temperature down and she has been feeling better today.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

03-09-2020, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
That must have been very worrying for you to see Pumpkin so ill, JB.

Thank goodness the injection brought her temperature down and she has been feeling better today.
Thank you Mags.

To see her limping around with eyes barely open was very worrying. We thought she wouldn't make it through the night.

As we couldn't see our regular vet that evening, Marge phoned the lady who 'house sits' our cats whenever we go away. She is a qualified veterinary nurse, and recommended the emergency hospital.

Yes, expensive! The feeling of relief afterwards was worth every penny, though.

I know. I'm just a big softy!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 06:28 AM

We get so attached don't we I'm still getting over losing Tuppy she was such a character and so pretty. Hope your Pumpkin is OK JBR

I'm so happy for Mr Grey ....he landed on his feet finding our Twinks
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 07:25 AM

Wow, I get up this morning and find all theses posts!

First let me say that i am really pleased that Pumpkin is feeling a bit better, JBR.

Our pets are a bit like children to us, because they need our care and attention, and good wishes from other pet lovers on this forum often help us deal with some of the problems they have.
Summer, it is always sad when we lose our lovely pets but I have found that, after we have come to terms with losing them, we may still miss them but our memories of them usually are the happy times they gave us.

Mr Grey is becoming very smart because yesterday I saw him wondering off in the field , so I shouted his name. He turned round & when he saw me he immediately came back to the house. I don't think he loves me so much that he wanted to come back, he just realized that if he hears my voice there is a good chance he will get some more chicken.
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 09:08 AM

Haha, Pavolv's cat!

Very glad to hear Pumpkin is recovering, such a worry
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 09:17 AM

Heard a bit of a cat spat the other night, not long after feeding the black cat (who we are calling Missie), there was a taupey grey slightly fluffy cat with white bib and paws, rubbing his scent glands on a flower pot...another cat we do not need! Especially if he is going to beat up wee Missie
I bring her dish inside now once she has finished eating, hopefully he will give up coming round if there is no food for him. Mr G says it is a he as he looks like a real Corner Boy He is a lovely looking cat though.

The farm further up the road (next door to where we think Missie hails from) the lady there takes in stray cats, gets them neutered and jabs done and then tries to rehome them. Apparently she bangs a dish with a fork at feeding time and they all come running, I think she had over 20 of them! So maybe Corner Boy comes from there. He certainly wasn't thin looking!

Page 6 of 11 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top